PDA

View Full Version : crappie & blue gill methods

shady
11-13-2011, 07:50 AM
OK, I would appreciate any advise I can get on how to fish for crappie's and blue gills, never have fished for them before. I will go to Eloika lake to do it, thanks to all who respond to this thread.

shady

lowe1648mt
11-14-2011, 11:08 AM
I find the Blue Gill Are best caught on a hook (small) ,bobber and worm. You can use a small piece of night crawler. In the spring and summer, blue gill are usualy found in shallow waters near or inside the weed line. They may be near the surface if there is a bug hatch going on. Other times they will be deeper. In the fall as the water gets colder they can be any where.
Crappie are a little harder to find. Early spring they come to shore areas to spawn or bed much like a blue gill. Most of the rest of the year the will be found suspended in deeper water, either in open water or near brush piles or deep structure.
In shallow water,they are caught easily on a fly rod with a wet or dry fly. In deeper water I have caught them on a small jig or a small Super Duper. I've even had them hit the Super Duper at night.
Other people may sugest other methods. all will probaply work. Hardest part is to locate the fish.

TrophyBoat
11-14-2011, 11:31 AM
The only good crappie fishing I have done is in the spring when they move up into shallow stickups to spawn. bobber with a gypsi jig or similar jigs drifted through the stickups. I have also caught my fair share trolling small 2" cranks parallel the edge of those same areas just after the spawn.

From my readings and obsrevations they are most vulnerable and willing to bite during their spawning period after that it can take a good amount of homework and time on the water.