PDA

View Full Version : NO START - ideas wanted

smokepoles
10-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Here's the thing - every time I have taken the boat out in the morning, the motor does not start (1990 Evinrude 90 hp). All indications are there is no juice to selenoid. I have never had this problem with an afternoon/evening trip.

Usually fiddle around with dead man switch, free throttle, change battery, remove cowling and check connections, etc. It will not start until it's good and ready, usually after 15 -20 min of the previous gyrations, then it fires right up and will do so the rest of the day with no problem.

Last time out thought it might have been the dead man cut out since it was last thing fiddled with before it started, so disconnected it this morning, but no go.

Best I can figure is that dampness from night has shorted out something, and it just ain't gonna start till that dries out after removing the cowling.

So, is there any critical connections in motor itself I should check?

Thanks much.

AFDan52
10-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Smokepoles , I had a1974 85 hp Evinrude outboard a few about 2 years ago and I had that exact problem. I had to keep cranking it until it would decide to play. I never did figure it out, and the guy that owns it now is having the same trouble.

trollmonkey
10-16-2011, 09:51 PM
I've had similar problems with my 99 50 Hp Johnson. Make sure your choke is working. Also had problems because the oil reservoir cap wasn't venting (clogged) and there was too much oil in the carb on start up.It would take lots of cranking to get it to fire.101chromefish101

smokepoles
10-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear - the problem is the motor does not crank over at all, the selenoid does not even click.

I guess next step is to put a voltmeter across the small wires of selenoid, and from positive to a motor ground, to see if it is getting current. If not, then the problem is upstream, likely either the control box or the ignition key since I have already disconnected the deadman. If there is voltage to selenoid, then the problem might be with it, internal or not grounded, etc.

I also might play with the gear shift into and out of gear while holding ignition on 'start', to see if that jars a reaction from selenoid. I have not done that as I usually start in the free throttle mode.

The curios thing is that it just does this in the morning, and never again all day indicating that the battery has plenty of juice and its connections are tight, etc.

If there is anything more fun than outboard problems, it is electrical problems with an outboard. Alas, it'll have to wait until next spring as I put the boat up for the winter.

lowe1648mt
10-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Some times the key switch can get water inside. I sugest putting WD40 or some other water displacement fluid in the switch about once a month in a salt water enviroment. in fresh waster area not needed as often. Easiest way to test the key switch is with the volt meter or a test light. The terminal with the yellow/red stripe wire should test hot when the key is held over. If it is hot the same colors should be hot on the solinoid when the key is held over. Your right, the nuetral saftey switch is between the two. Another way to test the switch is to jumper between the red wire and the yellow/ red on the key switch. If the motor cranks it's the switch.

wywm299471
10-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Smokepoles , I had a1974 85 hp Evinrude outboard a few about 2 years ago and I had that exact problem. I had to keep cranking it until it would decide to play. I never did figure it out, and the guy that owns it now is having the same trouble.

Ryno
10-21-2011, 10:07 PM
I used to have the same engine, but a little newer I believe (maybe a '92). It did something similar, but was more random- some mornings it wouldn't start, others it would, but wouldn't restart after running for a while. I couldn't figure it out and after a couple of rescues (which inevitably the boat started back on the ramp), so I took it to the shop diagnosis. They replaced the "power pack" or ignition control, and the problem was solved.

Might not be the same issue but it seems to me it would be something electrical based on your description.

Good luck and hope it helps, Ryno

TrophyBoat
10-23-2011, 05:44 PM
I have had issues with a gas tank not venting properly, so maybe ensure the gas and oil tank is venting????
Sounds so simple but I cut more than one trip short when all i had to do was open a stinking vent!

Full_Monte
10-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Sounds to me like an electrical problem. Most of the other ideas wouldn't affect the ability of the engine to even crank. Check the tightness of the connections to the batteries, the battery selector switch and the engine. I think you have a bad connection that is dropping the voltage. Also check the starter & solenoid connections.