PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Creativity?

SuperD
10-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Have the creative juices started to flow yet? I ha to stop koke fishing earlier than most so I've already had a chance to start thinking about my next "New Creation". Anyone else already getting bright ideas for stuff to invent?

trollmonkey
10-09-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm planning on finishing some rod building,taping and painting some dodgers,and tying some trolling flies (using egg yarn).If I can only get get past the planning stage this winter.golucky

SilverBullets
10-10-2011, 02:55 PM
After the success of a new jig and apex design I came up with this season I plan to upgrade some non-productive one's with this new paint scheme. One jig in particular was my #1 producer and had way better success than all other jigs used at the same time. I tried to make a couple copies of it useing paints that were close (ran out of the original) but quickly found out that just being a shade off makes a BIG difference. Time to place a NetCraft order... Will post up a few pictures once they're done!! thumbsup

BorntoFish01
10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
I pretty much missed out on the koke season this year cause of open heart surgery and other issues. As a result, I didn't get to really try out all my creations from last winter, including some new tackle purchases. Nonetheless, you can bet I'll be back to the work bench this winter putting together new tackle. Want to make some more bead and blade spinners if I can find some sexy colors besides the stuff I already have on hand. Will also be researching other component goodies that'll get the creative juices flowing.

Expect that as usual I'll get another ration of crap for all the gear I have, but like I've heard some of you guys say before...."You can never have enough..." and I don't have a wife hassling me like my critics. I learned several years ago that "divorse = "It's all about me." nanananawhistlersmother101noharte101

SuperD
10-10-2011, 04:10 PM
BorntoFish01, my wife occassionally asks me if she were to die, would I marry again. In my best sad voice I tell her that I could never find anyone like her so why would I bother. That seems to make her feel good and allows me to fantasize about spending her pension and SS dollars on tackle. It's a win/win!

BorntoFish01
10-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Good on ya..... 101goodpost101

RalphL
10-10-2011, 10:11 PM
why not start a "swap shop" where I trade a couple of my most productive creations for a couple of someone elses. Could be cool

Kokonuts
10-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Ralph, Count me in!!

I might even trade some of my new "SUPER SECRET DOUBLE WAMEE HOOCHIES" that I learned this year at the Oregon Kokanee Power Derbies!!

Kokonuts

Bduck
10-11-2011, 10:11 PM
why not start a "swap shop" where I trade a couple of my most productive creations for a couple of someone elses. Could be cool

SuperD is already fantisizing. Be careful with the swap shop idea. 101ok101

SuperD
10-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Personally I think a swap via long distance would be very difficult but if you guys want to try it, get Petty's blessing and we'll figure out a way to post it.

Petty4life
10-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Personally I think a swap via long distance would be very difficult but if you guys want to try it, get Petty's blessing and we'll figure out a way to post it.

swapps need to be arranged in pms and not on open forum

SuperD
10-12-2011, 12:44 AM
swapps need to be arranged in pms and not on open forum
Can a swap thread exist where just pictures of guys offerings are shown and the haggling take place on the PM's?

Kokonuts
10-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Can a swap thread exist where just pictures of guys offerings are shown and the haggling take place on the PM's?

Great Idea!

Kokonuts

RalphL
10-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Here's a "What If" -

What if everybody put two of their favorite custom lures in an envelope and in that same package is a pre-paid envelope with your address. One location receives all of these goodies, opens the envelopes and randomly selects someones custom lures and drops them in the pre-paids to ship them. You don't know whose custom lure you'll be getting in return, but that's half the fun of it. If you did it again, you'll get someone elses. It means one person well known to the forum would have to do the shuffle, but what else do we have to do when the season's over? It might be fun and you'd never know what you were going to get when the package arrives.

Could be a fun winter-time diversion, if we can find someone willing to do it.

Pogue
10-12-2011, 10:28 AM
I haven't had much time to do anything different lately other than playing around with colors. My plan is to get caught up with some plugs that I owe people. I did finish some other non-fishing time killers here and there just to break up the monotony.

Kokonuts
10-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Ralph, I like that idea! I joined in on one a few years ago & it went pretty smooth most of the time but a few people had some problems with it.
The biggest problem would be for the person doing the work. And some people had some problems with what they recieved but as long as its for fun & something to do this winter count me in on most any type of trading!

Kokonuts tooexcited

Petty4life
10-12-2011, 06:03 PM

that will work dave.

SuperD
10-13-2011, 02:50 PM
My first new item came out of the oven today and it turned out so well I'm tempted to go commercial with it. Hence, I'm torn between wanting to show it off and keep it a secret!

RalphL
10-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Mystery..... will it catch fish, or fisherman

Kokonuts
10-17-2011, 01:20 PM
My first new item came out of the oven today and it turned out so well I'm tempted to go commercial with it. Hence, I'm torn between wanting to show it off and keep it a secret!

We need more info!! Pictures will be fine!!
You just cant announce a "NEW" creation and then keep it a secret! Thats just un American! If you need a testor before going commerical , just send me one or a dozen!

Kokonuts 4moremney

SuperD
10-17-2011, 01:52 PM
I guess I gotta figure out how to make a non disclosure agreement for a forum post. LOL!!

SuperD
12-28-2011, 11:32 AM
This is first set of tape for the year. Orders for metal and tape now going out.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6767/tigerseries.jpg

Fish On!!!
12-28-2011, 01:02 PM
I tied/crimped some hoochie set ups with spinner blades using fine wire instead of mono line in hopes of longer life out of the wire. The ones I made so far are peach hoochies with pink and white leaf blades. I made them 8 inches long because that length seems to catch fish. I fished Monday but never tried them out but caught fish on the same set up tied with mono.

SuperD
12-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Fish On!!!, pictures or it didn't really happen. ;-)

mrmike
12-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Off season creativity/ food for thought research every photo of a fish hitting bait/ lure etc. a friend of mine noticed checking his lures all the teeth marks were on the left side of his lures (all) I found photo after photo, fish hit 99%of the time they come up on the morsel/lure hit from left to right how he noticed this is beyond reason but he is right/alway left to right I working with a double hook set up with the bottom hook facing 90 degrees left/the hook set up would need to be solid. there are some manufatures readjustinging there wobblers with hooks on the left side check it out. If you ever fish a large quick fish with all them hooks and a fish hits and you miss it the fish grabs the lure in his mouth on the left side goes through it not touching a hook/ I really don't think I'm crzy. very possible a lot less lost fish

Fish On!!!
12-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm not smart enough to post a photo. I did manage to post one in my album.

SmokeOnTheWater
12-29-2011, 12:11 PM
This lure swap does sound like an interesting venture and I'm in for a trade if anyone would like to send me a PM.

As for some of the other posts here:

SuperD - You're COLD laugh hyst
TrollMonkey - I too have been playing around with the Tube Fly idea. 101idea101
BornToFish01 - Here's wishing you a full recovery and cheers to good health for all. 101cheers101

Fish On!!!
12-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Trying to upload lure photo

SuperD
12-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Churned out some spinners today:

Lots of new blades available this year too.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/1222/spin1w.jpg

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1714/spin2f.jpg

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/954/spin3n.jpg

Fish On!!!
12-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Those look good, I really like that pink guppy one.

SuperDaveMT
01-01-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm looking at building some hoochie like creations out of rubber/silicone skirt material. Has anyone tried adding a glass rattle to any of their rigs? I'm thinking the noise might induce the aggression strikes.

SmokeOnTheWater
01-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Hey SuperDave, Apex kokanee killers started putting miniature steel rattles on their lure several years ago for the very same reason. I believe if there is anything to create a strike, I would try it. I bought several Apex Hot Spots and then the bite seemed to shift toward inline spinners and then small squid rigs. Maybe this year the old Apex lures will start producing at the Gorge once again????

RalphL
01-02-2012, 12:46 AM
Hey SuperDave, Apex kokanee killers started putting miniature steel rattles on their lure several years ago for the very same reason. I believe if there is anything to create a strike, I would try it. I bought several Apex Hot Spots and then the bite seemed to shift toward inline spinners and then small squid rigs. Maybe this year the old Apex lures will start producing at the Gorge once again????

I have never known any other species of fish that could change their tastes so quickly and so completely. First wedding rings in the AM, than hoochies, than something else. A man need a tackle box as big as a VW to stay up with them.

SuperD
02-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Only a month of Winter left and I haven't seen near enough of the fruits of all your labor. At this time of year, tackle pictures are almost as good as fish pictures. Show'em if you got'em!

Pogue
02-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Does this count? I'm still trying to figure out where to put the hooks!

Rob

idaho_Grizz
02-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Nice Pogue I wish I had some talant like that. I really like that.

SuperD
02-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Pogue, is that so you can take the trip without taking the acid? laugh hyst

Pogue
02-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Pogue, is that so you can take the trip without taking the acid? laugh hyst

Something like that.

This originally started out as a test to see how life-like I could paint a fish. I've always thought it would be fun to try and paint a fiberglass mold for a fish mount. I figured that a shark would be easy - not too many colors and no scales! After I formed it (clay) I decided to make it more of something that looked realistic shape wise, but had different coloration that stood out, but wasn't too crazy. There is a shark that I based this one on that looks similar to this (called a Spotted Wobblegong) so I changed the coloration a bit and added a little more. Heres a pic.

Rob

SuperD
02-20-2012, 10:35 AM
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/954/spin3n.jpg

I ran this one yesterday for the first time and it caught the first 2 fish of the day. I think it ended the day with around 1/2 dozen hook ups. I have now ordered the body in orange tiger and rainbow trout.

Propnut69
03-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Just wanted to post up a pic of some of the new squids that i have been dyeing.

SuperD
03-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Propnut, those are crazy beautiful! Nice job!

BorntoFish01
03-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Propnut, those are awesome. What are you using to dye them?

Propnut69
03-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the complements. I have had a lot of fun dyeing these squids.
The dyes that I'm using are the spike -it dyes in the bottle and been using the spike -it dye pens also. All i have at the moment for colors are red,orange,blue and chartreuse. It's been interesting to mix color "a" with color "b" and get color "c " in the process.

SilverBullets
03-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Great job on the squids Propnut!! Are the squids you start out with clear or are they already dyed a certain color?

Propnut69
03-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Great job on the squids Propnut!! Are the squids you start out with clear or are they already dyed a certain color?

Some are clear, some are pearlesent, and some are factory dyed. Most the real bright pinks and oranges are RMT squids in dlb/glow pink and dbl/ glow orange.Some are other factory colors that i have added color or changed the color on. One of the biggest challenges was to make the inside one color,while keeping the outside of the squid a different color.

SculpinKing
03-12-2012, 10:56 PM
I may have gone a bit nuts this off season. Still have enough hooks, beads, and blades to dow at least a hundred and fifty more lures.

SuperD
03-13-2012, 10:24 AM
I see a number of fishy things there. The trick is to save the other components for on the water tackle building once you find out what's hot. Don't make too much stuff that doesn't get wet.

trollmonkey
03-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Finally ordered some goodies from Hagen's and put together some gear.SuperD I like your idea of tying a few and then more if you find a hot set up on the water.I definately have too much bought and made stuff that will never be tied on. I hope these work, I 'm going to try setting one rod with new stuff to see how it produces,

trollmonkey
03-18-2012, 12:05 PM
A few new dodgers.First pic are 4" crow spoons, the second 4" thin spoons.

SculpinKing
03-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Trollmonkey,
Thoe dodger look good. Hagens somehow forgot to include my Crow spoons in my order (but I ended up with some extra stuff so I didn't raise a fuss). I'm curious how they fish and look. I ordered some Kach-Moor spoons (which, in the 3.75" size appear too small for dodgers) and I wasn't much impressed with the finish. I've noticed someone has started selling them under their own name on one of the sponsor sites.

trollmonkey
03-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Skulpin King I'd bet your scales(if you had them) the Kachmor spoons will work.We've been using F.S.T. and Half-Fast spoons approx 3"-3.5" and they work great on trout and kokes.Also check out Hagen's candlefish spoon,I like the middle size in the spotted green pattern.

Polar Bear
04-29-2012, 08:56 PM
This is first set of tape for the year. Orders for metal and tape now going out.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6767/tigerseries.jpg

hey , if I can ask .....where did you get the tape in the picture???

MTmountainman
06-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Yes, where did you get the tape?