PDA

View Full Version : sad to see season end

RalphL
09-29-2011, 03:23 PM
just ended a great season at Heron.... Big chubby fish averaging 13 15 with a few hitting the 16 in mark. Average size seems to be getting bigger each year.. Pulled out the boats and will Walleye fish in the South untill I put back in in April. Koke withdrawl will be painfull.. Hope the rest of the Zia crowd did well. Lets hear about your season... Will post pics

eandssmith
10-04-2011, 09:56 PM
We had a great year fishing at Heron. The week of the 4th of July was the best, catching big Kokes, took the kids on the Cumbres Toltec RR. We were there for the epic rain first week of August, 4" rain and the 5 second interval lightning and thunder. Also caught several 14" browns down on the Rio Chama. Hoping for more rain next year! Best wishes to everyone.

rebelsportsman
11-26-2011, 02:05 PM
i just met some people that are camp hosts in chama and they were telling me how good the fishing was there. i may have to try new mexico on the way home from colorado.

RalphL
11-26-2011, 03:31 PM
koke fishing is stellar as is the rainbow and laker. Did you meet Rusty and Mary??

rebelsportsman
11-26-2011, 05:06 PM
no, it was ray and ann. they live in san antonio for the winter.

rebelsportsman
11-26-2011, 05:08 PM
what kind of lures do you troll with? i need to start buying a few here and there. i am looking for a clamp on downrigger now. i have a cannon on my regular boat, but it is a little big for the porta bote.

RalphL
11-27-2011, 12:00 AM
pretty much Arnies,wedding rings and hoochies
. On really overcast days a black Mepps gets hot. all topped with shoepeg I keep a pontoon and an aluminum boat at the lake, run dr's,lead and flatlines off of them. Use the PB mostly in the spring when they're in the shallower water warmed by the sun and attracting the plankton.I Always run lead and flat lines (with a 1/4 oz bannana sinker) off the PB as I never found a good way to clamp on a dr. In the spring the lakers feed on the koke and the hoards of spawning suckers, so fishing the shoreline produces a mixed bag ,,including the odd rainbow. Its a no wake lake, so its just fishing and sailing and the PB is fine BUT, when you see the stormclouds building, get off. That holds for any boat but especially smaller boats. Like any mountain lake, it can get real gnarly fast. "Just one more fish" is how some get in the soup. Good luck