PDA

View Full Version : Fishing near Chico Ca

Pappy
09-22-2011, 09:50 AM
My son is going to Chico State and he is looking for a place to fish. He had located some areas on the Sacramento River. He said that the Salmon are making their run. Any suggestions on what type of set up he should use. I was told that their is good fishing around there. Any info would be helpful to get him started in a good spot.
Thanks
Pappy

SuperD
09-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Does he have a boat? Oroville for Coho is good action. Deer Creek just out of Chico is good stream fishing while it is still open. Lake Almanor is a beautiful lake a short drive out of Chico with Browns, Rainbows & Kings.

On the Sac, large Kwikfish from an anchored boat is popular, throwing #5 Vibrax from the bank is also popular.

Pappy
09-25-2011, 09:15 PM
No boat, he just a poor college kid and dad paying most of his schooling. Can a person catch a salmon from the bank. I remember when I was fishing the Smith River where it enters the inland waters from the ocean we use to catch the salmon off of cast masters lures.

SuperD
09-26-2011, 09:23 AM
It can happen. There is a big variety of large spinners that guys usually throw from the bank for the salmon. If he visits one of the local tackle shops they'll fix him up.

Pappy
09-26-2011, 10:31 PM
thanks I will let him know