PDA

View Full Version : Trebble hooks?

cruiser73
09-06-2011, 10:41 PM
With the kokes being such soft mouths wouldnt it be better to go to a trebble on the stinger hook? I see most hoochies and most other lures for them are just single hooks. Has anyone tried this and what type of results?
Thanks
Franktooexcited

SuperD
09-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Frank,
This is just my personal opinion on treble hooks for Kokes.
1) Kokes swing and miss at our lures alot. If they bump a barb of a treble, they won't keep trying.

2) Trebles mean a short fishing day when the bite is hot. No catch and release with trebles.

autorick
09-07-2011, 12:50 AM
If you want to boat fish, i recommend trebles. It is all i use. My boated rated doubled when i started using trebles. My 2 cents.

kjackson
09-07-2011, 04:29 PM
I used trebles all the time when I was in Spokane and fishing Roosevelt. I never had issues with them. However, on the wet side, I'm using two singles tied back to back. I have lost fish with this but have not compared it to trebles...which really proves little. Here I'm catching smaller trout as well as kokanee. Over there, I was catching big kokes and large trout. I'd be leery of using trebles if I was catching a lot of small fish.

mrmike
09-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Really is a good question? does it come down to personnel choice? I personnel use the two hook system for balance, fishing spinners with baits. I've taken off all trebles and went to the 2 hook works for me do I loose fish? You bet! using Hoochies probable work a little better. I'm ususally trailing corn & worm that's a lot of bait for a small treble to run true. I'm personnel working on something at present to stop the lose of fish. with the 2 hook set up. as you are aware they have gone to a spinning treble hooks set up works O.K. for smaller fish. The larger hooks were weak and couldn't hold a larger fish. (King Salmon)I had a friend that notified them about the problem. and they are re thinking and strengthening there product.

cruiser73
09-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks guys, I fish the gorge and have lost some but my main concern is the Macs. I lost a good one on a hoochie last week while trolling for kokes and was thinking of the trebles to maybe get better results. I have real good luck with the double hook set up on the hoochies but I just like to catch fish. I have been reading on this site about the mortality rate of released kokes and would just as soon keep the ones I catch than put them back. I know I will have to keep the smaller ones also but that would be ok by me.
Once again thanks a lot for the info as I am still learning a lot here.
Franktooexcited