PDA

View Full Version : First try at Berryessa - where are all those kokes?!

FishWisher
08-18-2011, 03:58 PM
I've read several glowing reports about the great koke bite on Lake Berryessa (about 40 miles west of Sacramento), and having never visited the lake, decided it was time to give it a try. I hooked up the boat on Tuesday morning and started the 105 mile trip.

I launched late and didn't begin trolling 'til about 1530. I planned to fish 'til evening, then again the next morning before sunup. At anchor I hung a couple of lines over baited with night crawlers. Again nothing at anchor and I can't figure that out.

Within the first hour of Day 1, I reeled in a small king salmon of about 15" from 80' deep, trying for kokanee. He took a pink Assassin, then put up a grand fight 'til I finally netted him. I reeled in a small, sickly trout later in the evening, and tossed it back. The water is waaaay too warm for trout to be healthy is my guess. That was it for the first day.

On Wednesday morning I was again trolling before sunup. It would be a short day as I wanted to head home before the lake lice started launching. I managed one more sickly trout, and tossed it back. I called it a day at 0930, and headed for the dock.

Once again I caught the single, dumbest fish in the lake, but that's not all bad! It's been that way almost all summer it seems, and I'm sure looking forward to ocean-run salmon fishing on my beloved California Delta soon!

More story and photos on my homepage: http://fishwisher.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/my-first-visit-to-lake-berryessa/ (Mods: My site contains nothing for sale, no forums, nothing but my stories and photos.)

HiTechKoke
08-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Berryessa can be fickle for sure as the extra water has made them more of a challenge to find unless you are up there regularly. It's about time for my Vampire sessions to start up at Berryessa.