PDA

View Full Version : Fishing at the Pig 08-10-11

wiperhunter
08-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Dubob and I hit the Pig today for a little, and I mean little, koke action. We arrived around 7:30am and were soon on the water. We headed to the dam and started circling the lake, we got our first hit near the spillway but lost it. We continued our circle and started getting fish in the boat, near the spring and for the next hour or more we stayed on the fish catching one after another. We caught a few on squid lures but the majority of the fish came on the kokanee Creek tackle spinners fished at 30 to 40 ft with riggers and lead core line. As we were heading in around 1:30pm, I caught the last one of the day for a total of 18. With only 6 more needed for our second limit, it was doable but we did not want to say any longer to finish out our limit. We were the only boat on the water for most of the day until A guy showed up with his kids pulling them on a tube. There were also 4 or 5 folks fishing from float tubes. Lake looks to be 3 to 3.5 ft lower than my last trip up there when the water was going over the spillway. It was a great day on the pond, I'm glad I could get up there one more time before the spawn more or less closes the lake. on Aug 15, thanks for the trip Bob.
WH

jekern1015
08-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the report. What was the average size? I have tuesday off next week and was thinking Strawberry or Starvation but with a 12 fish limit maybe I will end up at the pig.

wiperhunter
08-11-2011, 03:17 PM
They were 7 to 9 inches. Just keep in mind if you go up after monday the 15th , that the lake is closed for keeping any kokes that are changing color. All the fish we caught had eggs or sperm and some of them are already changing color. Good luck if you go.
WH2

Wells
08-12-2011, 10:30 PM
did you have a favorite color of spinner? Is that cleaning station at Porcupine? I didn't know they had one of those...

wiperhunter
08-13-2011, 12:57 PM
LOL, no cleaning station at porcupine, we went down to Hyrum state park to clean them. I'm not sure of the color but it is caller splatter, I'll attach a pic of the one I did the best with. WH