PDA

View Full Version : Proper speeds for trolling for Kok's

Spec
07-29-2011, 07:21 PM
I am going to start fishing Berryessa in a few weeks or less and was wondering what speed to start to troll for kok's. I have fished for all other fish at the lake but never kok's anything I should know I have a ton of sling blades in all colors and just starting to get my lures for them ,What is best for me to spend my money on lure wise and sent stuff.

Old School
07-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Hey Spec,
Speed wise. 1.3-1.5 mph is generally considered the normal range for kokes. Definately go up or down from there to find the bite. If your using slingblade type dodgers exclusively you made need to speed up a little to get proper action. You want your dodgers moving good without turning over or rolling. Before letting out check your dodger movement under the water at speed and confirm proper action.
Good Luck,
Old School

Fish Junky
07-31-2011, 05:02 PM
Alot of my friends prefer to go 1.4 to 1.5 mph.

I do my best around 1.1 to 1.3 mph. (on Gps)

Spec
08-03-2011, 11:13 AM
That is about the speed I troll at most of the time for other fish in the lake so I won't have to change much just getting use to fishing on down rigger's will be the big thing for me now.I have always like using a pink lady for my deeper fishing.

BonkinKokes
08-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I'd crawl into Hi-Tech kokes boat and see what he has rigged on his rods. Then follow him. Just kidding. He has shared a lot of good information on this forum. Check out some of his older postings for Berryessa.101chromefish101

HiTechKoke
08-12-2011, 12:48 AM
I like to say your trolling speed is all relevant to the lure combinations you are presenting and what you are trying to accomplish. I like 1.2 to 1.4 but I tend to run bigger dodgers that give the my lures a good deal of action at that speed, even a spinner. If that is not getting it done then speed it up or down. Old school has some great advice. After you catch a fish or two, look at your speed and lure leader and the action and you may unlock a pattern on that day or hour for that matter. Nothing is set in stone with Kokanee. I like running a hoochie a spinner in several forms and an Apex and let the fish decide what they want. Pinks are always my favorites at Berryessa but it has not been as predictable at Berryessa for me this year.