PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trailer wheel bearing question

gonefishing
07-29-2011, 01:52 AM
So I took my trailer in for new tires. They checked my bearings and said that they needed to be repacked. I always check my bearings when traveling. before the bearing repack, my axels always ran cool. Now on a short trip like less that 15 miles, all but one of my wheel bearings is running hot. Any one have an idea why???

Mudinchev
07-29-2011, 02:51 AM
If they just repacked them it sounds like they got the spindle nuts too tight, hot after that short of a trip is not a good thing, take it back and tell them to fix it before you burn them up. Or just loosen them your self either way dont let it go or you will be needing a new axle/s soon.

SmokeOnTheWater
07-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Get "Bearing Buddies" if you don't already have them. Was the service center reputable? I agree with the previous post and check your nuts. Too tight plus not enough grease will lead you to ruin axles. The other question is did they really repack them or just smear grease all over the bearings by hand? Makes a big difference.

gonefishing
07-29-2011, 10:10 PM
I took them apart today and had water coming out in significant quantites. Also, two of the nuts were to tight. So I purchase marine grease and new bearing buddies. After alot of work, we went on a 130 mile round trip. When I returned, I still had one bearing running hot, and the others were acceptably warm for a 90 degree day and a very loaded down boat. So I worked on the one bearing.

I had a quick round trip after getting to the lake to learn that my out drive would not lower and the drive fluid in the reservior gone. I know nothing about outdrives so to the shop in the am. Not doing well today.

Darn good thing I caught lots of fish Monday to thrusday before this debacle???? 101duh101

SilverBullets
07-30-2011, 12:43 AM
I took them apart today and had water coming out in significant quantites. Also, two of the nuts were to tight. So I purchase marine grease and new bearing buddies. After alot of work, we went on a 130 mile round trip. When I returned, I still had one bearing running hot, and the others were acceptably warm for a 90 degree day and a very loaded down boat. So I worked on the one bearing.

I had a quick round trip after getting to the lake to learn that my out drive would not lower and the drive fluid in the reservior gone. I know nothing about outdrives so to the shop in the am. Not doing well today.

Darn good thing I caught lots of fish Monday to thrusday before this debacle???? 101duh101

Do you think a blown seal allowed the water in?

nofish
07-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Sounds like the seals are bad as for the king nuts it is better to lose than to tight. I always spin the tire counter clock wise as I tighten the nut. Once the nut is snug I back it off at least 1/4 of a turn. Hope this helps.

gonefishing
07-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Well the boat is at the doctor now! We shall see what the damages are. As for wheel bearings. I'll do them myself from now on. Re worked one of the bearings last night and is well! Thanks for everyones input

Purchasing tires at Big O is ok. Nothing else to say about them.101thumbsdown101

Old School
07-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Water? I think we should assume the first bearing service was completely bloched. Bearing and hub cleaning bloched, rear seals bloched, bearing inspection bloched, bearing repack bloched, care to fill hub to perfect capacity with grease bloched, nuts tightened correctly bloched, etc. Just saying.

Make sure you inspect the bearings carefully. I usually soak mine in carb cleaner to get them spotless. I had to change one of mine for the first time this last round. It wasn't obvious either upon inspection, but after getting the new bearing it was obvious. Super cheap too.

I dislike the changeout process a lot, but good piece of mind knowing exactly whats in there.

If you're new to bearing buddys be warned it is really easy to blow out rear seals. Add grease slow and add just enough to barely get the pressure plate floating. Especially at first.

Old School

gonefishing
07-31-2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on them and then this fall at the end of the season, I think new bearinss and seals will have be done just for safety sake.

Bullitt
08-02-2011, 01:14 AM
FWIW.....

I do my own servicing because I've seen how the so called "pro's" do it. Since I started doing it myself I've never had an issue.

Make sure you get a marine seal. It has a double lip with a spring on the inside of the seal. There is a difference.

I grease the bearings and then I completely fill the hub cavity with grease including the buddy bearing. I do this because if the hub is full of grease, then there is no room for water to get in.

I use "Aviation - Form a gasket sealant liquid" on the rear seal and the buddy bearing when I set them in the hub. Some seals already have the outside of the seal coated in this.

When tightening the nut on the hub, I put a wrench on it to "load" the bearing. I then loosen the nut and then tighten it FINGER tight. That's it.

This is how I do it and it seems to work for me. I trailer my boat somewhere between 5k and 6k miles a year. I service the bearings every 18 to 24 months. Somewhere in there the rear seal will start to weep a little. I also never add grease to it in that time frame. No need to since it's full and I don't want to risk blowing a seal. I hear a lot of people poo poo buddy bearings but they work fine as long as you don't keep pumping grease in it.

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sign/sign0134.gif