PDA

View Full Version : Well, I did it

smokepoles
07-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Joined the ranks of all you boat owners. Now between my wife's horse habit and a boat, we have ways to invest our extra (and not-so-extra) money. Still, I'm looking forward to getting the grandsons out as that is something we can all do together.

1990 Sea Nymph GLS 195 (excellent hull and used, but not abused, interior)
90 hp Evinrude VRO
Honda 5hp 4-stroke
Minkota 24V electric
Cannon Mag 5 downrigger (probably add a manual Penn My buddy is giving me for now).

So, keep the good advice coming!

SilverBullets
07-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Congratulations on the new boat! My only advice would be make it as comfortable as possible and don't put off the trailer maitenance. Also, adjust the brake on the downriggers to where if you snag up it will pay out cable, and always have a pair of cable cutters with-in arms distance aboard the boat just in case.

Full_Monte
07-28-2011, 07:25 AM
My advice is to listen to Silver Bullets. He knows. Safety first. Towing a boat can be dangerous if something goes wrong. And downriggers on a boat can be dangerous if you grab the bottom with your drag too tight.

smokepoles
07-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Good advice all.

New wire cutters already readily available near downrigger. Always worry about trailers, but a necessary evil. This one seems to be very good, although probably nearing limit for a single axle. Trailered very well for the 2 hrs home yesterday.

It is roomy and comfortable, and started to make it more convenient. For example, I just ordered a Cannon low swivel base to match the existing one for the electric that came with it. Instead of rigging a plate for my buddy's Penn, went ahead and ordered a Uni Troll 5.

Will be putting on three more rod holders to have four for long lining and planer work.

Next step will be to mount the electric and place for its batteries.

Needs a shake down trip to sort out some other things, like where to mount the rod racks.

Targa165
07-28-2011, 02:29 PM
(B)break(O)out(A)another(T)thousand

Congrats on the new investment.

smokepoles
08-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Yeah, might as well invest in the boat instead of the stock market given its performance the last week.

Taking it in tomorrow to get new tires and the bearings packed. The spare was covered and I had opened it partway to look when I bought, but when I completely uncovered it it was totally shot down to the steel fibers on one side. Also, the spare was a different size tire (size that the trailer really needs) while the tires on the axle are smaller and their max probably doers not meet the load of boat, motor(s), and everything else.

Got the second downrigger on, added three rod holders, rewired and replaced the lights as they were honked up, lots of other little things. Still need to add a couple rod racks,mount the electric trolling motor, and move the fishfinder as it is in the strangest location under the gunnel on the starboard side just behind passenger seat. All I can figure is they used it jigging.

Motors have run well so far though I will take them in for complete service next spring so I know exactly where they are at.

Oh well, its only money and I had figured in a couple thousand to fix things like this in the offer I made for the boat.

agitator
08-06-2011, 08:03 AM
GET ER DONE smokepoles......... We did the same thing last fall but just upgraded . Glad to hear someone is on the same page . We have found out by using the Ruger and mattress method with our money has woked out very well considering what is happing know. As far as the boat thing with the two grandboys well thats priceless. My advice stay with rule #1 have as much fun as possible at all times.

jacksonlaker
08-07-2011, 09:58 AM
For all the money they will cost you and problems you will have, there is still no place else I would rather be than on the boat. Good luck and just have fun!!

Bduck
08-10-2011, 11:28 AM
For all the money they will cost you and problems you will have, there is still no place else I would rather be than on the boat. Good luck and just have fun!!

Preventative maintenance is a big money saver. If you see it or get to it before it happens, its more time spent fishing. A good thorough going over even out on the lake will provide issues if any. signfishin

Tightlines & go slay em'

smokin' Kokes
09-16-2011, 05:49 AM
ah, the smell of fish guts and blood in a new fishing boat. nice setup, fish killin' machine

I always carry at least one full set of trailer wheel bearings and seals, 2 frame mounted spares
helps to cover the trailer tires with black plastic in the off season, cuts down on the weather checking damage and rubber rot

switched to LT rated truck tires instead of the ST rated trailer tires and went to 16" F load range. The LTs are safer, the Feds keep close regulations on tires carrying passengers. only STs avail anymore are Chinese crapola and NO safety standards.
ended my blowouts and get twice the life