PDA

View Full Version : Broken axle tube....Thank god for rocks and ratchet straps!

Mudinchev
07-27-2011, 01:11 AM
On my way up to Merwin tonight to go for a boat ride and see if the latest new fish finder was going to work before I haul the boat to North Idaho for a week and I start seeing white smoke coming from the trailer. My first thought was axle bearings (which was on my list of things to check this week before the trip). No such luck! Broken axle tube! Of coarse I had to be on a steep hill and the only wide spot in the road was the outside of a hair pin corner. No lug wrench for the trailer nuts just a 3/8 ratchet with a spark plug socket. At least I had large enough channel locks to get the spindle nut loose and pull the whole thing. Just thought I would share this idea, you never know when you might be stranded somewhere and this might get you home. I would have rather used wood, rock can break up pretty easily but rock was all I could find.

Jacked the trailer up to take the load off of the springs, Tied a rock above the spring to keep it from going up and hitting the frame giving me just enough clearance under the fender for the tire then used a couple of more ratchet straps to help hold the second axle off of the ground. Then drive REALLY slow!

If this didn't work I was going to have to call AAA. But that would have been too easy.

Bduck
07-27-2011, 12:31 PM
I feel your pain of an axle going down. 101thumbsdown101 In my case, I have a single axle. Your double will allow you at least get the trailer to a safer location once things are shored up. I hated leaving mine parked along side of the road.

BonkinKokes
07-27-2011, 07:18 PM
I as well feel your pain. Happened to me just past the turnoff to Ariel. Dang didn't even get to fish. I had it towed in to Woodland. The guys at Auto Works put on a completely new axle. They treated me real well.

Mudinchev
07-28-2011, 01:56 AM
Well the boat is in dry dock and the broken axle is in the back of the truck. Hopefully I can round up a new one tomorrow. I always wondered how hard it would be to do this so I figured no better time than the present to try it. It is SOOO much easier to work on the trailer with out the boat on it!!

I can already here the "you might be a redneck" jokes coming! 101schater101

TrollNFisher
07-28-2011, 11:21 AM
No jokes As I did this last fishing last night long story short wasn't paying attention

Mudinchev
07-28-2011, 02:47 PM
OUCH!! Seems like every time you turn around its something.

SuperD
07-28-2011, 03:01 PM
It is SOOO much easier to work on the trailer with out the boat on it!!
That is why my annual trip to the Gorge is synonomous with all my trailer maintenance. The boat is in a slip for a week and the trailer is totally free to work on bunks and the like.

Trollnfisher, can I guess result of flinging the door open and catching the corner of the ice chest?

TrollNFisher
07-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Yea your right on that one, looking back it's kind of funny. Fishing by yourself sometimes can be a real chore trying to do everything.

Mudinchev
07-28-2011, 04:41 PM
I just wish it wasnt such a panic repair, we are headed to Idaho on vacation Saturday.

TrollNFisher
07-28-2011, 06:14 PM
I just wish it wasnt such a panic repair, we are headed to Idaho on vacation Saturday.

I guess you could look at it this way, at least it didn't happen on the way to Idaho with the whole family and kids with you. But it hurts when something goes wrong with your favorite toy.

SuperD
07-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Mine was broken a couple years ago while trailering down the road. I was able to take the door off the hinge and get it into an auto glass shop and repaired within a couple hours without draging the boat with me. Good Luck!

TrollNFisher
07-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Mine was broken a couple years ago while trailering down the road. I was able to take the door off the hinge and get it into an auto glass shop and repaired within a couple hours without draging the boat with me. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice, beats draggin the boat with me. I have the glass on the way and I'll drop off the door when it gets here at a shop.

SuperD
07-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Just for others benefit, since your glass was still intact, you didn't need to order the glass first. Auto glass shops worth their salt will measure and cut and install that middle door glass for less than $100.

Mudinchev
07-28-2011, 07:25 PM
I guess you could look at it this way, at least it didn't happen on the way to Idaho with the whole family and kids with you. But it hurts when something goes wrong with your favorite toy.

Oh I already thought of that, this sucks but having it happen on the trip would be WAY worse!!

TrollNFisher
07-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Just for others benefit, since your glass was still intact, you didn't need to order the glass first. Auto glass shops worth their salt will measure and cut and install that middle door glass for less than $100.

Thanks, yea I ordered the window from the dealer I was surprised at the cost of the window I was thinking couple of hundred but only 59 bucks. If there is a next time and honestly I expect it with my kids I will just drop off. Thanks again.