PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Peak

kodiak1
07-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Fished L.P. Tuesday morning, and although the action was certainly not fast and furious, we were able to pick up two limits by 11:00. Over half the fish were 17"-18.5". Half were beginning to "pink up" and some of the males were sporting a rather pronounced hooked jaw. Still in good shape for the table, but the clock is winding down! Sling Blades with R & K pink hoochies, and a chartreuse hoochie, all w/ shoepeg of course, produced. 21 early on, and then 25' later on were best depths, although the lead core third pole kept up at 3 colors and later 5. A weird year; just when the fishing finally heats up, they begin to color up. No complaints, though. Mike

redmanjr1
07-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Good haul Mike. I haven't made it up there yet and probably won't this year. Going to try and stay with Anderson until the spawn...then it's bow season!!!

Bob

sawtooth
07-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Went out this morning (7/29) and picked up my limit. Started out with three fish in the first 20 minutes and then took two and a half hours to catch the last three. Caught three fish on each of my two downriggers. One was set at 25 ft. the other at 17 ft. All were over 14" with two right around 17". Used Sling Blades and homemade spinners/ shoepeg corn. Fish were in good condition with no color change yet.

FiliIslander
07-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Hey Mike I was wondering where abouts you were fishing? By the dam or Spring Shores? I'm torn on where to go this coming Tuesday. It's between Anderson or Lucky Peak. I had a great day this Tuesday at Anderson getting my limit. All the fish were 12'' to 13'' and nice and silver. I would like to catch some bigger koks though and break in my new Kufa rod and Tica Reel :)

kodiak1
07-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Fished the area between the entry to Mores Creek and the point opposite Spring Shores, and also the narrows. Watch for nets!! Good luck. Mike

Kokanee.Fred
08-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Fished across from Spring Shores and through the narrows, caught five and lost one. Morning they were between 20'-30' and at 30'-40' by the afternoon. Caught a couple nice sized males 16 to 17 inches, one very pink. The other three were between 12-14 inches.

F-Bomb
08-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Had several good days at LP in the past week. Two limits boated Sunday among the absolute madness twice that many lost as we were having more interest in beer and bikinis then fishing. We haven't even put a line in before 10am yet. Most of the guys must have their limits and be done as the masses headed out every day about the time we show up (maybe we stink?) Bite is weird...fish lost all of their gumption after the Thurs night storm and can't hardly set off a rig or even let you know they are on..but we remain busy...those have been 12-13" and we drug several for who knows how long.

Falling in love with a Mack's plastic three and four blade spinner/flasher that I think is called a light troll tailed 22" by a simple red wedding ring one side we run hammered gold and one side we run hammered silver..both equal and you can't tell which is a standout because it keeps changing daily. Quit using smelly jelly and back to my old standard wd40 and shoe-peg..suddenly I'm a kok getter again just like the good old days...TRY IT 1.8mph gps average 19ft until late in the afternoon and then 33ft...last few days only DR setups working...our top draggers did awesome until thurs night then nothing. Spring Shores bay to the narrows with a pretty good session right along the cliffs at the forest service station. (no real secret as that is where thirty boats seem to all be)

F-Bomb
08-05-2011, 01:35 PM
another great day at LP in the books....same story

two hits at a time from 9 to 11 then slowed to about a tap per hour til 3

....the 13-14"ers are bright and firm but getting semi lethargic while the big boys are turning but still good eating

They wanted lots of flash yesterday...bigger brighter better

Rizzy
08-05-2011, 07:07 PM
This morning I landed 1 Koke in the narrows on a blue sling blade with a blue hoochie. I was out about 3 1/2 colors. I'm new to Kokanee fishing so it was an overall slow day for me compared with others, I saw lots of fish being netted. I'm hooked, hope to be back out Monday!

kodiak1
08-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Hey Rizzy,
First, welcome to the site. Since you are new to koke fishing, I might suggest that the first color you should go to is pink. My pop gear and wedding rings are gathering dust, because I am going more and more to pink Shasta Sling Blades and an R and K pink mini hoochie 8" behind it. Are you using shoepeg corn? Do you dye it pink? I like the Pautzke nectar types. Last time we were up there we ended up with 5 colors out when 3 quit producing. Finally, do you have a 2 pole permit? It should double your catch rate! I know you didn't ask for any advice, but I couldn't resist!!!! Good luck. Mike

Rizzy
08-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the advice....I have a pink sling blade and hoochie rigged up for next time, I saw a lot of pink rigs out there. I am using the corn but not dyed or scented. I was actually going to get the 2 pole permit tomorrow.

Do you use any sinkers on your leaded line rigs? I had a half oz., I was going to try a 1 1/2 oz next time

kodiak1
08-06-2011, 12:34 AM
No I don't. Well, now you know what to ask Santa for in a few months---a downrigger!! Mike

Rizzy
08-06-2011, 11:10 AM
I have been looking at downriggers.....they seem really expensive for what they are

Excaliber
08-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I have been looking at downriggers.....they seem really expensive for what they are

What they are is the difference between luckily catching fish and constant action/limits for the boat. If you can't target the right depth and present your lures there you're fighting a losing battle.

Spend the money,there's not a more essential piece of Kokanee fishing equiptment than the downrigger.

Rizzy
08-06-2011, 04:42 PM
I agree........I was referring more towards the parts and technology to make one....must be quite a mark up from the manufacturer

Excaliber
08-06-2011, 04:45 PM
I agree........I was referring more towards the parts and technology to make one....must be quite a mark up

The markup/profit is huge without a doubt. Buying quality stuff only stings once. Look on Craigslist or Ebay for some nice used ones.

Chief 101
08-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Any new reports from Lucky Peak? Caught some nice ones last week and want to get out again if there are any fish left. thanks

F-Bomb
08-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Rizzy amazon has the Cannon Easi-Troll for $169..you'll have to buy a release and a weight but that isn't bad. I bet I have over three thousand ups and downs with our primary two so price per fish and crank up isn't bad at all. (got em in all of the other friend boats as well....always really reliable) Compared to wallowing around out there watching everyone else catch fish that is a super bargain!

For a time Cannon was owned and operated out of Meridian down at a company called Computrol. Same guys that started Bottom Line Fish Finders (HP engineers from the good old days) then became an Armstrong Co. That is when I got to know the people and products. Always had super good experiences with them.

also here is your getting started tip of the day...everyone has their favorites but this combo has been super good at LP this year (and at anderson this past weekend)

go to the Tackle Shack at Fairview and Locust Grove...buy a couple Macks lite troll flasher rigs..silver is best...silver red is second...four or three blades doesn't seem to matter much...buy a few red bead silver and gold bladed hammer spinners and a few bright bubble gum pink hoochies...spinners 24-30" back from the flashers...hoochie 9" 12" back..put on a shoe-peg white single per hook corn and spray it all with wd40...troll LP at 1.5-1.8mph where everyone else is fishing...this year spring shores end has beat the damn but basically hunt around...start at 19ft and we've done great clear to 50 depending on the day and the water conditions. FISH ON

sawtooth
08-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Chief 101, Welcome aboard. I just went out this morning to LP and picked up 7 with my son. Got a late start (getting a teenager out of bed during the summer can be tough). Started fishing around 8:30 and picked up the first three on the point across from Spring Shores. Headed down the narrows and picked up a few along the way. All but one was bright silver and the meat even on the slightly pink fish was still in good shape. All were between 15 and 17". I will be out again on friday and that may be my last koke trip for the year. You might be able to get one or two weeks more before the meet starts to be smoker material.

Chief 101
08-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks Sawtooth, I'll report back...

Rizzy
08-10-2011, 03:35 PM
F-Bomb thanks for the tip, i will give it try next time. I ended up getting a cannon mini troll over the weekend. Went to LP yesterday and did good at 25-30 feet with the pink sling blade and pink/white hoochie. I forgot to put a snubber in my rig, but still only lost 1 fish. I don't think i will use them anymore, it was a lot better fight without it and more responsive. I did the best in the narrows and within the first 2 hours of sun up. In the flurry of action i didn't realize i had kept a rainbow trout, oh well.

Kokanee Vandal
08-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Fished from Spring Shores this morning from 8 until noon. Two to show for it. Both at 25' on a dodger with either a kokanee killer or a hoochie, both pink. Saw others catching but could not dial in the depth. Any idea where they were today? Got some take downs at the More's Creek inlet but nothing solid. Looked like they were between 25 and 35. Any tips would be appreciated. Oh, one was silver and one was a big buck just turning. He looked a bit mushy. First one was orange and firm.

F-Bomb
08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Don't know if I can bring myself to help a Vandal. All right...we have an on going battle on the fish collector vessel and the Kokanee Killer is not winning the lure of the year award...if that helps! I think that my comments were that caught the only "thing" it's gonna catch the day you bought it...sucker! Actually I was wrong and it's been wacked a few times but nothing like a hoochie or a wedding ring. His eye fell off and I have some serious doubts about his micro chip! Hasn't had a sniff since the eye issue.

We've also got them fired up on a yellow/red panther martin with silver spinner during some slow times. I'm old school and don't have sixty colors of dodgers and hoochie combos so we stick mostly with the known winners. (red beads wedding ring hammer blades and pink hoochies trailing some flash) Proven fact that fire engine red and pink are getters at LP. The stink you put on your corn makes a huge difference in results..I already posted my recipe. Fishing store guy swears by maggots...so I of course bought some. NoT A SNIFF..so far this season maggots 0 corn about 200 on our outfit.

Rizzy that is a good batch...looks like you have the feel!

Kokanee Vandal
08-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Well...even though L.P. is a Boise res, Vandals seem to dominate there nananana. I would agree about the kokanee killer with eyes, not a whole lot of action on those. The smooth pink one has been money. I have also had great luck in the last three years with maggots over corn, but the shoepeg cannot be argued with. My son picked the pink and white hoochie at Cabela's and that has been great. I also added the luminescent skirt last year and it seemed to help. But honestly, I think the speed and depth is the ticket, hence the depth question...

F-Bomb
08-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Vandal you should get yourself a BLUE AND ORANGE #11 hoochie...IT SCORES EVERY TIME! thumbsup

LP just like any compound has it's patterns. I see days when the fish will only take at one consistent setting and speed...sometimes even combined with one direction of your trolling pattern.

Our standard starting program

At LP we pretty much begin the hunt at 15 and 20 on our two dr systems...and fish our known productive lures at 1.5-1.8...looking with the sonar to make sure we don't consistently mark fish deeper. Obviously fishing in the regular spots where the masses are having success. I actually like to not see anything on the sonar in known packed areas...my theory is the fish are being herded away from our boat at that shallow depth plus you only see tiny portions of area at 15ft. Shallow depths I run the contraption further back from the ball thinking it will give the fish time and space to close back in...seems to work!

If we can't connect in a reasonable time at shallow we just keep moving down in 2-3ft increments until we do. Once I get to 25ftish I start setting my contraption closer to the ball like 20ft max. Closer absolutely gives you better hit to hook ratio plus your lure is closer to the actual depth of your ball so you have some idea at what depth the fish will take. Then once again you hunt until you have success and then the absolute KEY to kokanee fishing is to repeat what you just had success on. Same lures..same depth..same speed...and most importantly the same spot as quickly as possible. You can normally get at least two fish from a hot spot and sometimes more so it's a good idea to immediately go right back and try to do the same thing over quickly. Depth is super critical on days when it's not a free for all. That is why it's important to run the same exact stuff so that you are fishing exactly the same depth, action, and speed.

Now when it's slow for us but we see someone else that has the hot hand. Phew that is hard on a guys ego to admit! If you want to catch fish you had better go and try to do what they are doing. A small portion of the fisherman catch a huge portion of the fish. I can observe that hot boat and quickly see the pattern, when the crank up the rig you get a good idea on shallow, medium, or deep, you get an idea on flash and color. Sometimes you'll have similar flash and colors to try then you get to try to guess the depth and you're back at it.

It's always somewhat bewildering to me that guys won't help other people with color and technique out on the water. My buddy is the king a$$hole about such things. I always remind him that we aren't in a fishing contest and this is fun and why wouldn't we want help someone else have fun? I guess his fun is being the envy of some other poor sap that can't catch fish. We aren't guides (and there aren't any at LP or any other place we fish down here) that are competing for success so it's a bit beyond my understanding. It isn't like if I show you some successful stuff then I'm not going to get to catch fish either..there's a lot of them down there!

GO BRONCOS!thumbsup

sawtooth
08-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Fishing was a little spotty for me this morning at LP. Had to leave the lake at noon today and only took five fish for the morning. Quite a few boats out for a weekday, but I didn't see many fish taken around Spring Shores. Picked up the first fish on a pink and green homemade spinner behind a pink slingblade at 25 feet. The rest of them were caught on 1 1/2 inch pink hoochies behind a slingblade 25-30 ft. down. Getting out at 7am was not the ticket as has been in the recent past. First fish was caught at 9pm and last was caught at 11am. All the fish were still silver, but the meat on two of them were starting to get soft. The clock is ticking, get out there.signfishin

Rizzy
08-12-2011, 09:33 PM
It was slow for me today as well, hooked 3 and landed 1 first thing in the morning in the area the ospreys were working. Had some light bites occasionally after that, but nothing hooked up. The fish seemed shy today, maybe its time to change my rig, I was using pink sling blade and hoochie at 25-30 feet....

Kokanee Vandal
08-14-2011, 11:37 AM
F-Bomb,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I agree with you on all of it. I have a heck of a time repeating my pattern after I hook up, let alolne after both riggers set off. Being by myself I can barely hold it all together, so after the madness is over I can rarely remember where I was exactly and how I was set up precisely. I guess I'll have to break down and start writing crap down.

I also cannot understand why some are so secretive. I love to share tips and help others out. I remember the first year I tried out there and if it wasn't for some friendly folks I would not have returned. I shared some maggotts just the other day and didn't think twice. I hope that fella had more success than me.

Thanks again for the tips I will try again Tuesday and let you know. Sorry about Bleymeier. Even though I am a Vandal, I grew up here and watched BSU grow up as well, and he deserved better than what he got. I hope for your sakes Kustra moves on, he is cancerous in my opinion. Good luck against Georgia! Show 'em how we do it in Idaho. Go Vandals!

sawtooth
08-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Amazing, only Koke fishing could bring a Vandal and a Bronco together. laugh hystlaugh hyst

F-Bomb
08-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Some of my best friends in life are Vandals! Of course I don't fish with them because they will drink all of the beer and then sue me for not buying enough!thumbsup

Truth be known I had a short yet remarkable stay in Moscow. I accomplished in one semester, what took four and sometimes five years for others to get done. You don't think we lost our "amateur status" and ranking as #1 ranked party school in the US by Playboy magazine without my leadership?

On the Bleymeier deal I'm still undecided. I'm bothered by the timing of it all and hope that it doesn't have an ill effect on our number one program. Hearing lots of interesting insight from people that know quite a bit about the situation. I'm ignorant to the complete facts so I'll withhold public judgement. Going to go ahead and lay wager that the next AD is a very dynamic fund raiser! Irregardless of the facts and whether or not Bleymeier deserved the results, I will say that there sure have been some fun and wonderful times associated with BSU athletics so I'll give him credit and thank him for his efforts! I hope the next person can continue the run...kind of look forward to seeing another big time bowl game and really wouldn't mind enjoying a basketball game with 14,000 instead of 2800! Lots more fun...anyways it's all good for the local cause and I guess in someway offers me a personal benefit as a fan and booster.