PDA

View Full Version : smoking kokes

TrollNFisher
07-25-2011, 11:57 PM
As everyone else was out on the water this weekend after a long week at work I decided to take a break from fishing for one weekend and smoke some kokes, plus I didnt feel like fighting with skiers with the 80 degree weather. I usually cook kokes on the barbecue this would be my first shot at smoking Kokanee, needless to say I was amazed at the taste I didn't use any recipe off the forum but after the test run that turned out great I'm going to try some other recipes from the forum in the very near future. I bought a pacific coast salmon brine premixed recipe and not trying to sell a product but it was great I'm hooked on smoking kokes now. Thanks for the input on the temperature and times off the forum for cooking. I got it locked in now as I prefer mine just a hair more cooked than most people. Next time I'm for sure using a recipe off the forum as I saved most of them I'm hooked. Thanks

SuperD
07-28-2011, 01:12 PM
That looks great! Get out the crackers and the cocktails!

mrmike
07-29-2011, 01:46 PM
just return from the wickiup tournament and decided to smoke up some kokanee first time this year I've got a great recipe I''ll share its a Honey brine. I washed and fillet the fish in a two gallon glass container I added cold water 2 qt. cover the fillets added 1/8 to 1/4 oz.canning salt I find just in between the two works best for my pallet. add table spoon of Allspice 3 or 4 table spoons Old Bay seasoning 1/2 cup brown sugar and 4/6 oz Honey. I placed them on my traeger low smoke (cherry) 4 to 5 hours I have found no other better/ another good smoke wood is Vine Maple growes wild every were excellent flavor cut and dry. I absolutely convensed you will injoy excelt table fare

Fishfinger
07-31-2011, 01:49 PM
I have been using a dry brine, 1/4 cup salt, 1 cup brown sugar. Coat the fillets with the salt/brown sugar mix and let them sit for 6-8 hours, rinse and smoke. I always make a mess with liquid brines

nofish
07-31-2011, 02:40 PM
I have used that exact dry mix but I let it sit over night, talk about good eating. I have noticed if you dont use a stainless steal bowl it does give it a funny taste. Not sure why?

Fishfinger
07-31-2011, 08:17 PM
funny taste? even if you use glass bowl or pan?

nofish
07-31-2011, 08:23 PM
I used a plastic bowl once and it changed the flavor of it and it was not in a good way. I am sure that glass will not effect it.

TrollNFisher
07-31-2011, 09:22 PM
just return from the wickiup tournament and decided to smoke up some kokanee first time this year I've got a great recipe I''ll share its a Honey brine. I washed and fillet the fish in a two gallon glass container I added cold water 2 qt. cover the fillets added 1/8 to 1/4 oz.canning salt I find just in between the two works best for my pallet. add table spoon of Allspice 3 or 4 table spoons Old Bay seasoning 1/2 cup brown sugar and 4/6 oz Honey. I placed them on my traeger low smoke (cherry) 4 to 5 hours I have found no other better/ another good smoke wood is Vine Maple growes wild every were excellent flavor cut and dry. I absolutely convensed you will injoy excelt table fare

I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks

SeaDog
08-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Hi !

Try my "Rum" brine recepie under the recepie thread "OMG".

This everyone tells me is a winner !

SeaDog

mrmike
08-01-2011, 06:49 PM
SeaDog anything with rum should be excellent/I did a brisket this weekend marinaded in a cheap VODKA/smoked for 12 hrs on the treager my first ever was extremely pleased .

TrollNFisher
08-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi !

Try my "Rum" brine recepie under the recepie thread "OMG".

This everyone tells me is a winner !

SeaDog

Seadog

I will, I have it saved already yours is at the top off the list and can't wait to try that one RUM oh yea. Thanks

TrollNFisher
08-01-2011, 11:14 PM
I had some of the 1st brine powder left over here is round 2 oh yea beer and kokes. Man me and the family already demolished the 1st batch.