PDA

View Full Version : Beginner-Mores Creek

a16sioux
07-25-2011, 11:17 AM
I've heard that Mores Creek is starting to see some Koks. I've not fished in years and never for Kokanee. I'm going to fish from shore, in Mores Creek using 6 pound test, and a pink and/or orange spinner.

Any suggestions on fishing technique, type of gear and where to fish?

thanks in advance from this beginner and young daugther who wants to go fishing with Daddy.

luckykoke
07-26-2011, 03:54 PM
It is very tough to catch Kokes on the shore. I suspect you will get more rainbow than Kokes. Could try the spinner and then maybe throw out a worm on your daughters pole. Good luck!
Lucky

undermind
08-22-2011, 04:58 AM
Bumping this up.. Wondering what river fishermen are using on the spawning Kokes??

I was out yesterday and drove along Mores Creek and saw a lot of spawning Kokes from the car, and thought I'd return today and try fishing them in the creek, which I haven't done.
Bumped into a couple people and everyone had limits. Apparently it's all about what you're using because either people were snagging or they had made some great tackle choices.

I just grabbed my vest and was limited to what was already in there, which wasn't much, and I threw everything I had at them: single egg drifted, Rapala, Kastmaster, small spoons, spinners, even bait. Not a single strike after 5 hours fishing. The only guy I bumped into was flyfishing with a Minnow and Sculpin pattern and they were nailing the heck out of those. I don't have a fly rod setup, so I'm wondering what others have had luck with in Mores Creek?

Thanks

Mojo
09-02-2011, 01:09 PM
There are a lot of snaggers. Kokes are pretty tight lipped when they are on a spawning run. I would suggest fishing really early at first light or at last light, as they seem to bite better. Try small marabou jigs under a float, ore a small corkie with a bit of yarn. It is not easy, and is people are limiting in 30 minutes, I would bet they are snagging or flossing the fish.

undermind
09-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Yeah, the snagging is out of control. I went out the next day after my last post, and was pretty disgusted by some of the things I saw. There aren't a ton of people fishing, but I'm pretty sure the majority of people fishing ARE snagging or worse. There was a big coil of barbwire in the rocks by the shore at some spawn beds. They probably come out at night and take each end and fling the coil accross the river and pull it in grabbing whatever sticks. Right next to the barbwire was a long stick with a big snagging treble hook fixed to the end. And to top it off, there was a family snorkeling, trying to grab the fish by hand. A Fish and Game officer came by and said on Saturday there was another guy snorkeling with a slingshot shooting a knitting needle attached to line..

But on to the fishing.. Went out with the fly rod and minnow pattern fly and they were nailing it. I'm not sure what it is about that fly, but it's the only thing I can get them to go nuts for.

acftrescue
09-02-2011, 09:23 PM
so kokanee fishing at LP is pretty much over then?

Trollin-Fools
09-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Kokanee fishing at LP can be good in Sept. and Oct. but you are catching next years fish so they will be smaller.