PDA

View Full Version : hook size

RalphL
07-22-2011, 11:53 AM
just found red gamagatzu snelled hooks tied in tandem at Cabellas. Would be a big help for me in re rigging some lures but they are size 6. Too big or about right ??? I can bead and bobber stop them .

knotatwork
07-22-2011, 02:18 PM
check out crystal basin tackle... look under "extras" 8 lb line tandem hooks 10 for $10.00 the size 4 hooks work well for trout & kokanee

SuperD
07-22-2011, 05:00 PM
check out crystal basin tackle... look under "extras" 8 lb line tandem hooks 10 for $10.00 the size 4 hooks work well for trout & kokanee
The 8 lbs test Kyle uses may have gotten better but my experience with his pretied leaders was not a good one. If you contact him by e-mail, he will tie them on 12 lbs test and they'll hold up much better.

Juice
10-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Learn to try your own hooks. If I can do it you can too. Google "how to tie an egg loop knot". Take a piece of line about two feet long and five or six hooks any size and tie them up. Once you got down you mix- and -match hooks sizes for something different. Good Luck

MackPrince
10-23-2011, 11:40 PM
kokaneemart.com stocks the pre-tied Crystal Basin rigs too.

The size of hook depends on where you plan on fishing. The industry standard is #4. Locally I do well with #6 or #8 with my hand ties.

RalphL
10-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Learn to try your own hooks. If I can do it you can too. Google "how to tie an egg loop knot". Take a piece of line about two feet long and five or six hooks any size and tie them up. Once you got down you mix- and -match hooks sizes for something different. Good Luck

It's a close vision thing.......Will order up enough to presnelled to build a seasons worth of my secret weapon lures. Thanks all