PDA

View Full Version : lake pend oreille kokanee?

fishingmom
07-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Just curious, talked to a guy today who fished lake pend oreille over the wkend, was not targeting kokanee but ended up with a limit of them all big fish around 20" - i know this is a lake that is recently open again for kokanee - anyone have any reports or info?

kodiak1
07-19-2011, 12:16 AM
http://www.cdapress.com/news/outdoors/article_20c61fb6-9f6f-5590-95cb-0c790371390a.html

http://www.bayview-idaho.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=37&sid=4c9dc594efc1c5cfe48be4333acd52c3

Here are two sites for info on northern Idaho, and specifically Pend Oreille. The first site is the Coeur d' Alene Press, which has a great outdoor site, and if available on the internet w/o a charge. Wish the Statesman had a comparable site. The other is a forum specifically for Pend Oreille fishermen, but isn't too active. You could post a question on the site perhaps. Or better yet call two of the Press' go-to people, Fins and Feathers and Black Sheep. 20 inchers sound impressive. I fished it when there was still a commercial fishery in the 50's and they weren't very large, but there was a ton of them. The commercial guys would tie there boats in a large circle, and float creamed corn in the center. The kernels would slowly begin dropping, and the fishermen would drop a plain red hook down, and hand-line them up. Mike

autorick
07-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Are you sure this lake isn't catch and release for the Kokes? Nothing is listed on F&G website. Priest lake just opened up this year for the Kokes.

autorick
07-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Pend oreille is CLOSED for kokanee harvest!

fishingmom
07-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Pend oreille is CLOSED for kokanee harvest!

hmmmmmm -i thought i had read somewhere it was opened back up,,,,sorry for the misleading information.

Mudinchev
07-20-2011, 12:28 AM
Just curious, talked to a guy today who fished lake pend oreille over the wkend, was not targeting kokanee but ended up with a limit of them all big fish around 20" - i know this is a lake that is recently open again for kokanee - anyone have any reports or info?

Hmm sounds like he better be reading the regulation book. Not sure what the fine per fish is in Idaho but that would be some VERY expensive fish even if it was an honest mistake.

Copied and pasted off of their web site:

The way I read the regulations:

Panhandle region:

Kokanee limit is 15

Pend Oreille Lake (includes Sand, Strong, Riser,
Bayview, and Mirror creeks and their tributaries)
• No limit on the number of fishing rods per angler
while fishing from a boat
• Bass limit is 6, only two may be largemouth bass,
no largemouth bass under 16 inches
• No limit on rainbow trout or lake trout
• Cutthroat trout limit is 0, catch-and-release
• Kokanee limit is 0, catch-and-release
• Mouths of Gold, North Gold, Granite and Trestle
creeks are closed to fishing for a radius of 100
yards into the lake
• It is legal to have lake trout and rainbow trout in
the field or in transit with the head removed; tails
must remain attached

Pend Oreille River (from railroad bridge at Sandpoint
downstream to Idaho-Washington border, including
tributaries and sloughs to the edge of flat water)
• Bass limit is 6, only two may be largemouth bass,
no largemouth bass under 16 inches
• Trout limit is 6, no harvest of cutthroat trout

Priest Lake and tributaries (including Thorofare)

Priest River and tributaries (from its mouth to Priest
Lake)