PDA

View Full Version : Tohatsu 8HP 4 stroke at 6000' elevation - ?

FishWisher
07-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Here in Kalifornistan I troll with my Tohatsu at sea level, but my upcoming trip to FG will be at 6000'. Am I going to need to change the carburetor jet to troll there?

Any help on this issue much appreciated.

SilverBullets
07-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Here in Kalifornistan I troll with my Tohatsu at sea level, but my upcoming trip to FG will be at 6000'. Am I going to need to change the carburetor jet to troll there?

Any help on this issue much appreciated.

Just got a new Tohatsu 4hp 4 stroke. The lake I fish is just under 6,400' and the motor runs like a sewing machine up there. I thought about getting the high altitude kit (different jets) but the way it's running right now I don't think I'll need it.

Full_Monte
07-22-2011, 07:10 AM
If there is an issue with loss of power, you can always get a prop with a lower pitch. That's the easiest way to handle it. However, I don't imagine an 8hp motor will be putting you up on a plane, will it? You might not even notice the difference in power.

SuperD
07-22-2011, 10:07 AM
I have a Yamaha T-8. The first year I went to the Gorge the kicker seemed a litttle more difficult to start so I tinkered with the air/fuel mixture screw (about a 1/4 turn) and all was well. It also ran well when I got home so I never made any other adjustments.

gonefishing
07-31-2011, 01:15 AM
Tohautsu, Nissan and Merc 4 stoke, all the same motors. I used a 8 HP Nissan 4 stroke 2 years ago up at the Gorge. 2004 model. No issues starting, or trolling.

FishWisher
07-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks for all the response, guys. From your info I expect I'll have no problem with it. And for now, it looks like we'll be heading to Wallowa Lake in Oregon at something about 4400', instead of 6300' Gorge. But then again, things may change back to trying the Gorge this year.