PDA

View Full Version : Lake Tahoe fishing

Pappy
07-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Heading for lake Tahoe for some fishing during the month of July. How is the Kokanee fishing this year. Last year was perty slow. I looked through the thread but was unable to locate any reports on lake Tahoe. Any help would be helpful
Thanks Pappy

Pappy
07-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Heading for lake Tahoe for some fishing during the month of July. How is the Kokanee fishing this year. Last year was perty slow. I looked through the thread but was unable to locate any reports on lake Tahoe. Any help would be helpful
Thanks Pappy

Does anyone out there fish lake Tahoe for Kokanee

HiTechKoke
07-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi Pappy... Tahoe reports are typically the hardest to find across any of the boards out there. This year may be even harder because of the ridiculous inspection process (not at the ramp and bad hours) and costs the costs. You can't even get an inspection at the ramp from what I have read. I am sure there are boats out there fishing formthem down off of Taylor Creek and that area. Not much help for you though.

Tahoe Whaler
07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Yes it's expensive and inconvenient. After living here for 35 yrs I have given up fishing on the lake. The mackinaw catch continues to be OK but boring! My neighbor fishes for macks every week of the year, and he limits in 2 hours most of the time. I have fished with him, but there's something about reeling in 400+ feet of line w/o a battle (because of bloating with air) that takes the fun out of it. I don't care for the taste of mackinaw so I only partake of those that are smoked.

They just started to stock the lake with cutthroats this month. The plan is cotroversial with the mackinaw guides saying it's a waste of time because the macks will eat them right away.

I would love to fish kokanees at Tahoe but they seem to be depleted especially on the North shore. I'm going to continue to put my efforts into Stampede.

Pappy
07-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Well thanks for the info. In the pass you were able to have your boat inspected at the boat ramps or the Marina, not anymore. there are several boat inspection places to have your boat checked. I know its costly and a inconvenience but there is no way around it. We only come to the lake one time during the year and stay in a house at South Lake Tahoe. So its a one time payment for us. Its just to bad that the state is doing this and its just another way for the state to take money out of our pockets. Besides this, I have fished lake Tahoe for 10 years now. I usually go for the Kokanee but if they are not biting i will troll for the lake trout. I know two years ago the bite was just starting to come back. There was either a bad hatch several years ago and the fish are just starting to come back I hope. Fishing 7 years ago was great. So I am hoping that it has made a good recovery. Thanks again for the info on the boat. There is a check station right off of hwy 50 before you enter South Lake Tahoe.

emegolf
07-27-2011, 08:36 PM
I was up there last week. Not sure how long your vacation is, but if it is for a week, going through the inspections is worth it. The Kokanee are around 28 to 40 feet down. They seem to bite thoughout the day. In the past, between 5:30 and 7:00 seemed red hot, but not this year. The Eagle Point Fishing guides were limiting out each day I was up there. They were helpful getting me in the zone. The average fish was around 12" with an occational 14 incher. Boat speed for me was around 1.3/1.4. Some days lead core out fished my downriggers. My red magic seemed to be the hot lure, athough some were catching them on the hoochie. You will see the charter boats working the Camp Richardson to Balwin Beach run. Hope this info helps.

Pappy
07-28-2011, 12:38 AM
How did you end up doing on the fish. I read your reply and you said that the charters boats were limiting out, thats good. I will be heading up to lake Tahoe during August 4, for 8 days of fishing. I was going to go in July but my plans changed. I know the fishing usually gets better in August for Kokanee. Where did you get your boat inspected. I was also wondering after your boat is inspected and you take it out of lake Tahoe do they tag the boat and trailer like they use to do.

emegolf
07-28-2011, 04:04 PM
I limited out every day. Not as fast as the guide boats. I used the inspection station in Meyers. It is well signed after coming down the summit. You can get an in/out pass, a wire is attached to your trailer and boat. Google Tahoe inspections on the different types of passes. I will be up there again the first week of august fishing again. good luck. email me at emegolf@wavecable.com and I will send you my cell phone number to call when you get up there and I will give you the latest details on what time, how fast, how deep, where to go, and what lures seems to be working best.

Eric

TahoeRCD
07-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Hi Pappy... Tahoe reports are typically the hardest to find across any of the boards out there. This year may be even harder because of the ridiculous inspection process (not at the ramp and bad hours) and costs the costs. You can't even get an inspection at the ramp from what I have read. I am sure there are boats out there fishing formthem down off of Taylor Creek and that area. Not much help for you though.

Roadside inspection locations are available at all major highways coming into the Tahoe Basin. Please visit http://tahoeboatinspections.com/inspection-locations/ for locations.

To clarify, there's a one time fee for the season (depending on boat size), and inspection and decontamination of non-motorized vessels is free. The program is federally funded and mandated to prevent invasion of aquatic invasive species, which have decimated fisheries and recreational opportunities elsewhere.

Pappy
07-30-2011, 09:03 AM
thanks for the info that is the same web site that I located the other day. Very useful.

emegolf
09-03-2011, 12:38 AM
How did you do that week.

Pappy
09-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Fishing was great, Like I remembered 5 years ago when the bite was on. Caught limits everyday. The best day on the boat with the wives we were done by 7:30.

Fishs Outdoor Experience
07-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Thanks Pappy
Camp Richardson has been smoking hot for us. I feel lucky not having to deal with the boat ramp BS and being able to be on the water before the sun rises. We will always exceed our limit keeping biggest ones for ourselves and releasing the wee ones. We have had luck in front of Eagle Rock for Kokanee and Mackinaw.. We will be posting videos soon keep on eye out got some great fishing footage on lake Tahoe!

Bduck
07-20-2012, 08:57 AM
101welcomw Fishs Outdoor Experience 101welcomw

Lake Tahoe was always one of those lakes I wanted to fish but never have. Even when I lived in Sacramento it was only a stones throw. Looking fwd to your posts.

Pappy
07-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Glad to hear the fish are biting. We will be heading up August 1 for one week. Last year was a great year for kokane. Caught several limits and some of the best eating. I am looking forward to this year for some more good fishing.

Fishs Outdoor Experience
07-22-2012, 11:41 PM
An amazing weekend of Kokanee fishing on lake Tahoe.. 47 Kokanee landed and several that escaped the net
Fishs Outdoor Experience is proud to a part of Father Murphy's hand made lures! I can say enough about the action these lures brought to the boat..

HiTechKoke
07-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Good to hear Tahoe is kicking out the kokes... if it wasn't for the ridiculous off-site and inconvenient inspection times if opening at 8AM... I would love to fish it. Geez the bite might be over by that hour. Why they don't do it at the ramp I will never understand.

How's the size on the Kokes this year?

1keyman
07-25-2012, 12:38 AM
i have had pleasure,no,the honor of being able to fish lake tahoe. the inspection precess cab be brutal especially if you don't drain all the water from you out drive,so trim your motor down for several days before you go.if any water comes out they will make you go through a 45min.-1hr process of running hot water through your out drive,now as far as the fishing is concerned makinaw as the prevalent fish,i learned by going in to a local bait store from a young guy working there,told me were to go and what to use and how to use it,and it workred!!!i have caught several lake trout nothing to big but i did limit out one day. he sold me a heavy jig with an anchovy hook on it and minnows to go onto the anchovy hooks,the reason i am getting detailed abouth that is because the last year i was there,2010, the same kid at the same bait store told me they jig for kokanee in a simillar manor,they actually sell the jigs at the store,the bait store is one the main drag by tahoe keys,check it out it might help.