PDA

View Full Version : Almost lost my trolling motor

Bovine
07-08-2011, 01:15 PM
One of my boat improvements this year was to install a quick release system for my bow mount trolling motor to allow my boat cover t fit properly while trailering.
I bought it online through the Minn Kota website. It arrived in good time and installation was no real challenge. To protect my investment, I read all instructions carefully. Even the part that read "ensure to install the retaining clip(supplied) or install a lock of your own before operating." However, like a kid on Christmas morning, I raced to the lake, launched and off we go. My first stop produced no fish so I stowed the motor and raced accross the lake. Arriving at my new hole, I climbed on the bow, grabbed the motor and off it comes in my hand. The retaining pin had come out just like the instructions warned. Nothing but gravity and the patron saint for stupid people held that rascle on.
Unable to find a replacement pin, my simple solution was to tape four 1/4" bolts in place and my motor is secure.
There is a lesson in here somewhere...

kjackson
07-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up on that. I have the same bracket, and i can't lock the pin in place because of interference with an anchor roller. I'll have to go to Plan B--whatever that is--before my next trip.

kokaguy1
07-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Guy's I'm not sure how you could have almost lost the motor as I have the very same motor and it next to impossible for that to happen. Now that said, looking at the picture you have there it doesn't look like you are using a minnkota quick release mounting plate or are you? Installed correctly there's just no way for the motor to come off.

Bovine
07-09-2011, 01:26 PM
I hope the pictures show the design of the Quick Release mount. It is two pieces that fit over one another, one mounted to the boat and the other to the motor. When put together, the supplied fork inserts through the aligned holes and lock on the extended post.
I put the 1/4" bolts in the wholes for clarity, my Iphone camera is getting tired.

SilverBullets
07-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Guy's I'm not sure how you could have almost lost the motor as I have the very same motor and it next to impossible for that to happen. Now that said, looking at the picture you have there it doesn't look like you are using a minnkota quick release mounting plate or are you? Installed correctly there's just no way for the motor to come off.

Maybe they were redesigned? I've got a Minn Kota quick release bracket mounted and it doesn't use bolts like that. The bottom half is hard mounted to the bow and the other half mounted to the motor. The motor slides into the hard mounted bracket and one small bolt with a plastic handle is used to secure them.

http://store.minnkotamotors.com/products/392893/MKA-16-02_Quick_Release_Bracket