PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee Power Wickiup Derby 7/23

Fallriverguy
07-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Just a reminder to everyone that the third Kokanee Power derby is at Wickiup Reservoir July 23rd. Applications are available at the Kokanee Power of Oregon web site. There is lots of water in the reservoir this year and summer has finally arrived. This is our first derby at Wickiup and it will be fun. Wickiup is different in that there are very different size classes of fish. The challenge for this derby is to find where the big fish are located.

Hope to see you all on the water.

Fallriverguy
07-09-2011, 02:08 AM
I would encourage everyone that is planning to fish in the derby to get their entry form sent in. We are having Twin Lake Resort serve the lunch and need a head count.

Cannon
07-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Vance just sent in some of his tackle for our raffles and prizes. I just fished his new small glow/UV hoochies on Merwin and Yale last week and they literally filled the fish box. You can view them on his new website.
Gary Mirralles is also putting together an array of tackle for the derby and I am sure you won't be disappointed by what he is bringing to this one.
Gary Gordon from Fish with Gary lures is also sending some of his unique tackle and if you haven't tried his gear, you might want to throw some money in the hat for the raffle.
Uncle Larry's Lures is sending some of his gear for the raffle as well. John, the owner is a very knowledgeable kokanee fisherman and his stuff should be on you must have list.
Mack's Lure will also be well represented with their version of must have kokanee tackle.
For those of you that haven't tried ProCure scents, this is your lucky opportunity to get some free stuff. ProCure has been one of our long time supporters and as usual, they are sending some stuff for our prizes as well.
I believe that we also have a Ruger 10/22 going up in the raffle as well. This prize was donated by Chuck Defoe, owner of Ken's Sporting Goods in Crescent.
There are many more sponsors sending tackle for the derby so prizes will be there for those of you who show up. Be sure and come by the campsite and chew the fat a little and tell some tall tales about the one that got away.

Cannon
07-12-2011, 02:31 PM
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1616

Fallriverguy
07-15-2011, 12:10 PM
There has been a small change to the location of the lunch and award ceremony due unforeseen circumstances.

We now are going to have the lunch and award ceremony just east of the North Wickiup boat ramp. There is a nice little open are where we’ll set up tables and a couple of pop ups. What we are lacking is enough chairs. Please bring chairs to sit on. The weigh in will be in the parking lot next to this location.

We are getting in lots of great prizes for the raffle. There is still time to register for the derby. We will be taking registrations at the North Wickiup parking Friday evening from 5 to 8 pm. There is lots of water in the reservoir and the fishing has been great. Wickiup has probably the hardest fighting Kokanee in the state.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the derby!

Kokonuts
07-26-2011, 11:35 AM
I just returned from the Kokanee Power Derby at Wickiup, my 3rd Derby this year! First of all I want to say that the people at these derbys are GREAT and I had a blast again last weekend. If you havnt joined Kokanee Power you are missing out on a LOT of fun & a learning experience that you cant get anywhere else! Then you add the awards for the top 10 teams, Lunch & Raffle for prizes it goes over the top.
My partner (Kent Cannon) & I went over on Wed. to set up camp & fish the Lake. It was a little windy & choppy in the afternoon but we were awarded with several NICE Kokes in the 15"+ range and found out just how frisky the Wickiup Kokanee can be. These fish can dance, jump, go back to the bottom in a heart beat and put on a real show!
Thur & Fri. was a repeat of the same but it seemed to be slowing a little.
Sat. we hit the water about 5 and we were trolling as the sun came up. It wasnt long before we had 5 in the boat BUT they were a little smaller than the day before! We started to look for bigger fish , Kent has some great electronics on his boat, and then we found a couple more in the 16" range when Kent hooked up with a real dandy that was just under 18". It was the one we needed to put us in 9th. place !
We used the normal hoochies, spinners, & Apex lures behind Sling Blades and Vance's Dodgers. I had started using some of the larger Salmon (Brads) types last year and they paid off again! Pink & Green Berkley Maggots was the hot ticket. We used very little corn.
Wickiup is not a deep lake and has a lot of stumps but when you find the old river channels its fish on!
So once again I want to thank Kent and all the others at the derby for a GREAT TIME!

Kokonuts

Cannon
07-26-2011, 11:52 AM
I just have to say, Great Job Brian! Everyone had a great time (including myself) and caught a lot of the scrappiest fish in the state. The lake was pretty close to full pool during the first part of the event although on Sunday it was down about four feet. The fish were excellent eating as many can attest since we had a fish fry on Friday night before the derby and many came by to sample the lakes offerings. Rick Fielder seasoned the fish and Randy Berquist cooked the fish while I was able to remove the lid from a couple of cans of bourbon and brown sugar beans and make a salad. Needless to say there were only crumbs left and nobody went away hungry.
I also got a couple of new recipe's for my upcoming cook book...

eric71m
07-26-2011, 12:57 PM
I also got a couple of new recipe's for my upcoming cook book...

Really??? Nice!!!

mrmike
07-26-2011, 02:24 PM
I would like to add great job ! I can't believe the weight that were turned in. Every time you turn around things change these fish (kokanee)are so hard to pattern, and at my age I'm still learning. N

Cannon
07-26-2011, 05:39 PM
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=214&pictureid=1631