PDA

View Full Version : Pre-tied rig storage?

mrjerkface
07-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Hey all, have several Gorge trips coming this month. I have the boat and tackle boxes ripped apart trying to get organized, and I'm getting ready to tie up a bunch of new baits, which brings me to my question..

Has anyone come up with a brilliant storage system for pre-tied baits?

I used to keep them wrapped around peices of wood or cardboard which nearly always turned into a tangled mess. Last few years I've been putting them in small (2" X 3") plastic bags, similar to store bought, but that creates a coiled line, occasional knots, and always smashed feathers/skirts, and the problem of where to put back the baits that have been used.

I'm WAY too slow tying those damn double hook rigs to even think about tying them on the water.

I have a vision of making some king of 3 ring style binder with some stiff (masonite?) felt covered pages..

Maybe I'm over thinking this ! Anyone come up with a simpleish solution?

Thanks in advance..

SuperD
07-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Go to a little bigger (3" X 3") bag for all your leaders. I have my bead, blade and sundry boxes on the boat and with the leaders tied, I can make more of the hot lure pretty quick.

kjackson
07-05-2011, 10:27 AM
It's not original with me by any stretch, but pool noodles work very well, unless you're going to tie a thousand rigs.

Go to the nearest dollar store and pick up several. Then find a box that you like deep enough to hold one or two noodles in depth. Cut the noodles to length, then cut a slit every half inch or so. (It helps if you mark each end of the slit with a Sharpie, so you can find it afterwards.)

Put the end of the leader in the slit, wrap and then stick the hooks. It's not perfect, but I've come to like it. I use it for my salmon leaders and walleye rigs.

The biggest challenge is finding the right box to hold the sections of noodle. Plano makes a big, open container that works, but you can use everything from a cooler to a bag.

SilverBullets
07-05-2011, 11:29 AM
I coil up the leaders between two fingers and secure with 1" wire ties. This method works well especially for the longer leaders used with Apex lures.

mrmike
07-05-2011, 11:53 AM
I went to HookumGood.com There bait buoys there Roll up on a three inch Roller I used to do the same use my fingers and then use wire Tye's They aren't cheap but I use one for HOOCHIES one for WEDDING RINGS one for any way I have 5 in one box pull out what I need a great organizer. there is a holder I purchased place a Roller in the holder and take off what I need

Metal Manipulator
07-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I cut 1/2 pipe insulation to fit in the 2" plano boxes. I stick the knot or swivel inbetween the slit and wrap around placing the hooks in the foam. I have tubes for each of the different styles.

TrollNFisher
07-05-2011, 09:34 PM
This is what I use. Trust me they hardly ever look like this though, more so just thrown in the box.

Metal Manipulator
07-05-2011, 10:33 PM
This is what I use. Trust me they hardly ever look like this though, more so just thrown in the box.

That is what I'm talking about it works good.

TrollNFisher
07-05-2011, 10:48 PM
That is what I'm talking about it works good.

Yes Sir, cheap too

redmanjr1
07-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Yup...I use the same thing. Easy to keep things in their place and easy to get to it quickly when needed.

Koke-n-a-smile
07-07-2011, 12:43 AM
I use pipe insulation too. If I am going to store the lures in one of the plastic boxes that came with my tackle box, another little trick I use is to cut 1/2" length of pipe insulation. Then I coil up the line and place the lure into a little cubby hole in a plastic tackle box and then squish the pipe insulation into the cubby hole. You don't have to be too neat with the line, and the pipe insulation holds it in place quite nicely.

SuperDaveMT
07-07-2011, 01:45 PM
I go with the pool noodle - I can cut them to fit in a gallon size ziplock (2 per bag, each holds 10 or so rigs) and throw them in my tackle bag. I tie loops in my rigs so I just break a tootpick in two and stick it in the foam. Loop over the toothpick, wrap around the foam and voila. If you want to use a plano type box, pipe insulation looks like the way to go.

Bovine
07-07-2011, 11:52 PM
These are available at your local home improvement center , $10 in the states. I find the pockets very handy for dodgers and lake trolls.
Another cool thing I saw lately is from Pline. They are selling their swivels and dual snaps on safety pin dealyboppers. I went out and bought some safety pins to manage some of my terminal tackle.

Mudinchev
07-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Currently using and like the pool noodle idea, I took a utility knife and cut a shallow slit around where each leader would go, dig the hooks in and wrap the line pulling it into the slit and it stays put, I tied all my rigs with a barrel swivel on the end and that is all that is sticking up after the wrap. It also works great to hold spare leaders. I tried the tooth pick idea and it was kind of a hassle with all the extra sticks poking out and if you don't have a loop or something on the end for the tooth pick to hold it didn't work.

RalphL
07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
I take the cheap beer/pop can coozie, the foam ones,and cut the solid end off.Than cut a piece of heavy cardboard and slide it in so it fills the inside with just a bit of streach. Get a pkg. of round head pins, slip tht hook (or pin the swivel) to the foam and wrap the leader. Pin the end, Use one for just leaders, another for wedding rings etc. They stack like books next to each other in your tackle box . Easy access,no tangles

Fish To Live
07-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Hey guys,new to the forum and kokanee fishing,have learned alot so far on this site.Thanks.I like the pool noodle idea also. I am putting together a 9' zodiac bombard inflatable with a wood floor. It has plastic wise folding boat seats with 13" pedestals on a swivel bases. My idea for the storage of the pre tied rigs on the noodle is to use the existing 5 or 6 holes under the seats that were originally meant for a mounting a cup holder/tray attachment and use them to mount a base with 3 or 4 12" long pieces of 1/2" pvc pipe or whatever size will fit snugly into the hole in the center of the pool noodle,cut the noodle into 12" pieces for the rigs and slide them onto the pvc pipes under the seats. There is a cupholder attachment on each side of the seats so you could have storage for as many as 12 noodle rigs. I probably would have the pipe mounted on some kind of swivel so it would rotate 90 deg. for easy access. A similar concept would probably work on any boat. Just an idea that i have been thinking about. Any interest or input is appreciated.