PDA

View Full Version : Last week's Nantahala trip

1bigfish
07-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Just got back from the lake. Had an incredible time. 8 salmon and one rainbow. Most of the fish were large 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds but the last fish of the last day was a large male weighting 3 pounds 8 ounces. I got so excited I drove to Ingles Grocery in Andrews and had it weight on the meat scale. I thought I might have the record but it looks like the monkey's still has his grip on the prize.

Had to troll with four buckets to slow the boat down enough. Fished at 35 feet the first day with the thermocline at 20' Caught 2 Kokes and the rainbow. The next day the thermocline was at 30' I was trying to find the fish. 45' on one side and 47' on the other, mostly on green but the big one hit red. When I turned the boat around to get back on the fish, I found a column of fish stacked up one on top another from 40-60' but not another hit. Damn old two stoke. This was my vacation so my wife let me do what ever I wanted. Next week is her vacation somewhere norht of Franklin. We left the boat at the lake and she has already offered me one fishing day. Maybe we can have a derby day.

Four buckets

Dr. Oc
07-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Nice fish. Excellent report. How big was the rainbow?

Harpoon
07-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Those Kokes love Montauks. Thats what I fish and realy love it . I see you had the same idea as me . The 2x6 across the back makes a great station for downriggers and rods. awesomereport wish i was there.H

1bigfish
07-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Harpoon,

Thanks for your reply. Glad to find a fellow Whaler fan. saw a 15 and a 17 on the lake. We have three Whalers, a 13, 17 & 22. All with Yamahas. Great boats but that old 2 stroke to too loud for the fish. I can see fish swim down and away on the fishfinder. Can't afford a new 4 stroke so I will probably try electric.

1Bigfish