PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fishing?

montanafishin
06-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Wondering is anyone has ventured out and looked for the elusive kokanee lately? I unfortunately have not? Are there any good fishing stories iyr there?

SuperDaveMT
06-29-2011, 03:16 PM
I've been out to the Helena Regulating Resevoir several times this spring. The hot combo for me has been a p-line pink and purple uv hoochie behind a dodger with some corn and a pink gulp maggot. Catching them anywhere from the surface to 25 feet. Figured out they were on the surface when I caught several fish before I could clip my line into the downrigger and lower it. Fishing has been best from daylight to about 8:00, then pretty spotty. I haven't has chance to try an afternoon/evenign trip yet.

Anybody else been out?

Jsouders
07-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I fished Koocanusa last week. Lot's of Koke's near the surface and few nice rainbows and bull trout. The Kokanee seemed to like any color wedding ring with some shoe peg corn and some scent. The water was warming up really fast, went from mid 50's to mid 60's in 4 days!

Neptune
07-15-2011, 10:28 AM
I fished Koocanusa last week. Lot's of Koke's near the surface and few nice rainbows and bull trout. The Kokanee seemed to like any color wedding ring with some shoe peg corn and some scent. The water was warming up really fast, went from mid 50's to mid 60's in 4 days!

Glad to hear your fishing went well! As the water in Koocanusa warms the Kokes drop a bit. Were you using any attractors in front of your wedding rings?

Jsouders
07-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes, I fished a small sized lake troll in front of the wedding ring when I long lined. Off the downrigger we attached a larger lake troll to the ball. But since they were so close to the top we had most success long lining. Also, made it easier to tell when you had one on as a 8" kokanee strike doesn't always register on the downrigger and you often end up dragging or losing them.