PDA

View Full Version : Arrowrock Update

Ken Jones
06-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Well guys here is what we did today at Arrowrock. We caught three limits of Kokanee, 16 squawfish (gutted)and released. 3 trout netted. Lost a bunch of Kokanees oh well. Hoochies tipped with corn. Wedding rings also tipped with corn (white corn). Two colors morning with leaded line. Afternoon 4 colors. Downriggers Morning 23ft. Afternoon 40ft. Speed using a GPS 1.6 MPH.101chromefish101

idahowolverine
06-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Good Job Ken. Were you in the main part of the lake or up in the s.fork arm. I am hoping to get back up there this Sunday. The boy has hockey on Saturday so hopefully the weather will be good then.

kodiak1
06-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Way to go, Ken. Sounds like a good day. Love your reports. No nonsense, but all the facts. Now go get that smoker cranked up! Mike

Ken Jones
06-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Way to go, Ken. Sounds like a good day. Love your reports. No nonsense, but all the facts. Now go get that smoker cranked up! Mike

Yep, Wife does the smoking. Fishing in Main Res. Went up the south fork to the barn up river, above where Willow creek comes into res. Didn't fish that area. Thinking about going too Anderson Ranch, maybe today, or Tomorrow. Ken. 101chromefish101

Busspass
06-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Great jon man!

sawtooth
06-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Headed up to Arrowrock this morning. Caught my limit by 10 am. Started the morning catching a fish at 25 feet. After the sun hit the water, I dropped the riggers down to 35 feet and finished out my limit of 6 nice kokes.
The largest was 17 inches with the others around 14 to 15 inches. Like most other on this thread, I had to wade through several squawfish and a few trout to catch the kokes. Most of the kokes were in water deeper than 70 feet. Fun day, great weather, and nice looking fish.

jimbojump
06-25-2011, 01:13 AM
Are they really that deep? I was there Wed and the fish we caught were all at 16'....I dropped down a few times but didnt get anything there....going up for the weekend tomorrow...hope we do better this time...guess we'll try deeper

idahowolverine
06-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Jim are you camping up there this weekend. My son has hockey until 430 Saturday so we might go for a evening trip but are definitely going Sunday morning. If you see a red and white center console cresliner with a 70 Yamaha. swing by and say Hi.

sawtooth
06-25-2011, 03:20 AM
Are they really that deep? I was there Wed and the fish we caught were all at 16'....I dropped down a few times but didnt get anything there....going up for the weekend tomorrow...hope we do better this time...guess we'll try deeper

Not saying all of them are that deep. There was a gentleman with his dad and two boys that were getting fish closer to the top without downriggers. I just went deeper because I was marking fish at that depth and in an attempt to get below the squawfish. I would catch a few squawfish at the lower depths but not nearly as many as on top. Plus I hit a school of kokes that were easy pickins at 35 feet and hit my line everytime I passed back over them. Good luck to you this weekend.

jimbojump
06-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Yeah we are sir...I believe Im gonna set up on the knoll by the N fork wash out across from the campgrounds....I have a white and yellow Sun Runner closed bow with a white Johnson and a black Merc kicker...looks like it'll just be myself and my honey this go round...but thats good cuz we always catch a bunch when its just the two of us...LOL...Wheeeee! Thanks Ken for the update...we'll try deeper this time

jimbojump
06-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Ida...we will have tons of extra room at our site if you guys want to camp next to us and share our fire pit! Be great to make some new friends!

jimbojump
06-25-2011, 09:21 AM
We always camp across the lake so we dont have to be bothered by other campers and theres no shortage of fire wood on the back side. ;-)

metalheadgene
06-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Took an hour or so but we finally found them yesterday....all 50' down with a few on the leadercore which i figure was around 35-40'.

Chartruse and hot Pink worked well......

jimbojump
06-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Our weekend was crap-tastic...we pounded every inch of the lake for two days and only found two takers. Tried every where...every depth from 15 to 45...guess I should have dropped to 50...Also we were constantly harrassed by wake boarder boats one even sideswiped us so bad Vickie fell on her tailbone and slammed her neck into the side of the seatback....I hate those things...the very reason I wont go to LP...now they are deluging AR...I need a few days to recover from this latest BS...I did manage to pull a limit of really nice trout from the mid 40 to 50' range...but still no kokes there...

Ken Jones
06-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Jimbojump thats the middleork of the Boise River not the Northfork. Your 20 plus miles below the Northfork.

koko71
06-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Ken Jones could I ask you what color combos are working for Arrowrock? I've made it up to anderson ranch at pine this week and had good luck with a red double dee flasher and a pearl wiggle hootchie along with fishing with Gary dodgers. I have never fished arrowrock for kokanee but know it can be a hard reservoir for your downrigger with the sudden rock bars that come up fast on the sonar. I have been long lining a second line with a 3/8 oz slip egg weight in front of my pop gear for fish in the top 20 feet of water, I suppose I'll step it up to 3/4 oz for the depth at arrowrock. Has the speed at which you catch the kokanee been consistant the multiple times you have been out? I believe you stated you trolled at 1.6 mph on your GPS that would help me know how heavy a weight I would need if I use a slip weight. Thanks James

FiliIslander
06-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Got in the water at 7 a.m. today and shot straight across from the dock. Used a pink sling blade and pink and white hoocie combo with withe corn marinaded in shrimp oil and my friend used pink u.v. sling blade with a pink wedding ring with white corn. Marked fish at 15 to 25 feet. We dropped the downriggers down to 20 feet and caught first Kok in 5 minutes. We were on fire till about 10:30. By then we had 7 Koks and 3 trout. The squaw fish were no where to be found till around 11:00. About 5 squaws caught. All the koks were around 14'' to 17'' range and an 18" kok which im holding in one of my pics. We dropped down to 35-40 feet from 11:00 to 12:00 and stayed with pink colors. My buddy and I boated 3 more Koks and called it a day. I caught my limit of six and my friend caught 4 including the 18'' one. We lost 8 Koks today but very happy of the turn out. Good luck everyone if you guys get out there.

Busspass
06-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Very nice Fili!

redmanjr1
06-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Nice haul FiliIslander!

jimbojump
06-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Wow...awesome job Fili...now I feel like ive been punked by the fish...LOL My largest so far was 19.5"

jimbojump
06-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Can anyone ID this fish? Its not like the average Rainbow and def seems odd to me...little help?

Ken Jones
06-28-2011, 09:14 AM
I guess I'm going to have too quit giving out fishing information when I go fishing. Every bodys doing great bye there fishing reports. ( Just kidding guys) congratulations guys I like reading your reports also. Going too Arrowrock Friday hope too see you there. Ken-- Blue and white Jet Boat.
Will be fishing across from boat ramp towards grouse creek and the dam.

kodiak1
06-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Is the dock in the water at Arrowrock?

idahowolverine
06-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Kodiak the dock is in at Arrowrock. We went out Saturday night after my sons hockey game. we fished from 7 til about 10. We got 3 koks and 5 rainbows down by the mouth of the southfork. Then on Sunday we got 9 koks and only 1 rainbow with just a couple of squaw fish. Most of the fish came on a orange and yellow flasher with a green hoochie. Had the same flasher on another pole with a pink hoochie with very little action. My son has been asking when we would catch a bull trout because of the signs alone the res. So Sunday we caught a 10 inch one. He was a little disappointed when I told him we could not take it out of the water for a picture. Still a very fun weekend.

kodiak1
06-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks IW, and glad your boy got that fish!! Mike

Tiernmat
06-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Looks to me like that is a west slope cutthroat. Where did you catch it?

jimbojump
06-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Ive caught two of them at Arrowrock...but the first one everyone thought was a juvie Coho...it has a very fine scale pattern compared to the rainbows and different coloring as well...but at least I can say it isnt a Bull trout...phew...

jimbojump
06-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Ok...doing the run tomorrow after my last aweful failure...any last tips guys?

metalheadgene
06-30-2011, 09:12 AM
PM sent...

metalheadgene
06-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Ive caught two of them at Arrowrock...but the first one everyone thought was a juvie Coho...it has a very fine scale pattern compared to the rainbows and different coloring as well...but at least I can say it isnt a Bull trout...phew...

We have caught a couple of cutties up there this year..and also got into about a 20" Bull trout.....slimey devils they are...

jimbojump
06-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Ive fished for Dolly Vardens in Oregon years ago...nasty mean they are...for sure! Good job Gene! Those cutties as you call them are def different....but nice all the same! At least way better than the damn squaws...I have probably killed over a 150 of em since this season started...Grrrr...