PDA

View Full Version : First Kokes of the Year

trollmonkey
06-20-2011, 07:29 PM
My son Alex and me hit Nantahala for our first 2011 trip Saturday.Rgarbar met us at the landing with his koke heads(I feel like circling the lake ring a bell chanting "bring out your heads")and he told us the hot depth.With the vital info we hit it and in ten minutes Alex had his biggest koke to date a 3lb 1oz female.The hits came slow but were solid ,it was a great first day back.tooexcited

rgarbar
06-20-2011, 08:51 PM
TM

Great post and pictures. NC rules the East!!

Dr. Oc
06-21-2011, 07:00 PM
You guys are killing me. My family and I will be back up there the 1st week of August like last yr. Can't wait to get back up there. Look for a 19' Green Jones Brothers center console with a Yamaha and come say hello. We did very well last yr. and caught over 20 in 5 days. All very deep by then (60-70'). Would love to catch a few rainbows this yr. How deep do y'all usually find them that time of yr.?

trollmonkey
06-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Doc,I have only gotten a few rainbows,but they are usually the same depth to maybe 15'-20' above the kokanee.Does spiderman know you'll be up that week? Epic battles are generally not conducive to good fishing.nananana Good luck I'll be at Myrtle Beach that week thinking about kokes.

rgarbar
06-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Mark

If I were heading to Myrtle Beach I would not thinking of kokes. I'd be thinking of fresh deep fried oysters and clams, a bowl of she crab soup, a pot of blue claw crabs and a broiled flounder. nananana

Ron

SeaDog
06-23-2011, 09:46 AM
TM

Great post and pictures. NC rules the East!!

Well, OK! The Kokes are bigger in NC.

I'm just thankful that we have 2 waters here in Ct. that have Kokes and I live 8 minutes away from 1 !
They may be smaller but still fighters and Oh So Good to eat tongue2

SeaDog

trollmonkey
06-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Seadog if I lived that close to a kokanee lake I would be ruint(as we say down here).Me or the kokes would be wore out before it was over.How's your luck been running lately.? Do you ever jig in the daytime? Take care Mark

Harpoon
06-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Doc the rainbows should be as TM said.I would check 45 to 55. Choice of lure in my opinion would be a Sutton spoon#31and #44 silver/silver. If you find a nice supply of these somewhere let me know . It seems that Sutton's stock is running low because of plating issues.Last time I was up at the nat the Kokes were not hitting so I switched to trout and caught a couple with my time remaining.they were in the 3 to 4 lb range. Wild and crazy like the Kokes. H

SeaDog
06-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Seadog if I lived that close to a kokanee lake I would be ruint(as we say down here).Me or the kokes would be wore out before it was over.How's your luck been running lately.? Do you ever jig in the daytime? Take care Mark

Hi Mark !

To be totally honest -> Only a few of us (Mostly old timers) fish for the Kokes here in Ct.
Only a few younger guys have the paitence and skills to catch them.

Most I've ever seen over the past 4 years is 10 boats at any one time (2 per boat) at night jigging.
Some trollers during the day, but they catch only a few.

I've been getting my limit of 8 almost every night I've been out. (12-13 inches now)
Per your quote -> It'll be me that gets wore out before the Kokes (NOT!) signfishin LOL.

And yes I've tried jigging during the day -> Not much luck! -> Better at night!

Just smoked up 4 dozen fillets this morning in my special Rum brine.
OMG! -> DELICIOUS!!!!! tongue2

SeaDog

Fishfinger
06-24-2011, 07:10 PM
17 one evening, and 14 another evening, us trollers are getting more than a "few"

Trout Tracker
06-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Nice fishing! I got 8 the other morning.

trollmonkey
06-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Mark

If I were heading to Myrtle Beach I would not thinking of kokes. I'd be thinking of fresh deep fried oysters and clams, a bowl of she crab soup, a pot of blue claw crabs and a broiled flounder. nananana

Ron

No doubt there'll be a trip to Calabash for a seafood platter ,another trip to battle the all you can eat crablegs ,and some surf fishing.But there is plenty of time to think of the kokes!101chromefish101101chromefish101 Or schools of kokes!