PDA

View Full Version : A Kokanee scenting technique

Snapset
06-17-2011, 03:21 PM
This has been helping me catch more fish this year. I am sure others are doing something similar.

I canned some fresh tuna a year ago, and when I make lunch for the fishing trip, I drain the oil from that. This oil is both for soaking the corn and mixing with powerbait.

I mix the Powerbait and oil in a small ziplok, cut the corner from the ziplok and shoot the paste into a small syringe (From the feed store).

I always put a glow corkie in the head of my hoochies. I inject enough paste behind the corkie to make a scent trail. A little shot will last for an hour of trolling, but I always check it after each fish. Still needs corn on the hooks.

mrmike
06-17-2011, 04:23 PM
I actually rendered a tuna this year and failed/ getting the oil was easy but it went bad there is something they break it done with to stop it from going sour. Tuna a good scent

kokaneekid
06-17-2011, 09:54 PM
This has been helping me catch more fish this year. I am sure others are doing something similar.

I canned some fresh tuna a year ago, and when I make lunch for the fishing trip, I drain the oil from that. This oil is both for soaking the corn and mixing with powerbait.

I mix the Powerbait and oil in a small ziplok, cut the corner from the ziplok and shoot the paste into a small syringe (From the feed store).

I always put a glow corkie in the head of my hoochies. I inject enough paste behind the corkie to make a scent trail. A little shot will last for an hour of trolling, but I always check it after each fish. Still needs corn on the hooks.

When you can tuna normally you put a small piece of belly fat in with it..... Try canning just the belly fat of the tuna next time it will make your mix really oily... Works better...

Fish On kokaneekid

Cannon
06-18-2011, 03:55 PM
I actually rendered a tuna this year and failed/ getting the oil was easy but it went bad there is something they break it done with to stop it from going sour. Tuna a good scent
It must be kept cool. If you are out in the boat, keep it in the cooler. When you get home put it in the fridge. It is a good idea to keep all of your scent products in the cooler. Mine are in the cooler all day long if it is warm and again they get returned to the fridge at night.

smokin' Kokes
06-20-2011, 08:25 PM
to make your tuna scent concoction last longer, use a preservative with anti bacterial and anti fungus properties

my favorites from Pro-Cure
SODIUM SULFITE
SODIUM METABISULFITE
SODIUM NITRITE

they have lots of scent additives.
PRO-CURE TUNA FLAVOR EGG CURE

and my favorite for kokes, lakers and trout
UV GLOW EGG CURE

want eye blinding pink?
WIZARD KOKANEE KILLER KORN DYE
http://www.pro-cure.com/bait_dyes.html#liquid

I add some of their amino acid powders for extra scent kick.

http://www.pro-cure.com/eggcure.html#egg

use it on corn, let soak overnite. lasts a long time in the frig and not much chance of the wife accidentally feeding pink shoepeg corn to the dogs.

can't miss the pink dog poop in the campground

makes a good scent for walleye bait fishing also.

think anise and krill as kokanee scents also on the changeup pitch days when they go off the bite.

Cannon
06-20-2011, 10:18 PM
to make your tuna scent concoction last longer, use a preservative with anti bacterial and anti fungus properties

my favorites from Pro-Cure
SODIUM SULFITE
SODIUM METABISULFITE
SODIUM NITRITE

they have lots of scent additives.
PRO-CURE TUNA FLAVOR EGG CURE

and my favorite for kokes, lakers and trout
UV GLOW EGG CURE

want eye blinding pink?
WIZARD KOKANEE KILLER KORN DYE
http://www.pro-cure.com/bait_dyes.html#liquid

I add some of their amino acid powders for extra scent kick.

http://www.pro-cure.com/eggcure.html#egg

use it on corn, let soak overnite. lasts a long time in the frig and not much chance of the wife accidentally feeding pink shoepeg corn to the dogs.

can't miss the pink dog poop in the campground

makes a good scent for walleye bait fishing also.

think anise and krill as kokanee scents also on the changeup pitch days when they go off the bite.

Great Post awesomereport

mrmike
06-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Thank for the info. I did keep the pure tuna refrigerated and cool even process like you do for canning, strained three four times with cheese cloth came out really nice almost like a jelly when cooled. the sodium's you talk about is for processing roe. Sodium Nitrate is a mold prohibit

mrmike
06-22-2011, 11:53 AM
There has been a new scent that working extremely well I will share its by bassassasinluresinc. called Bang in Garlic and Craw only two store I know carry it one is Bob 's in Longview it the other i won't mention (don't like him) it been red hot for Salmon and I've had awsome success with it on kokanee. One problem order it on line they had a small fire should be up operating very shortly located in MajO Florida. I just won a Shad tournament last week with 70 fisherman (23) boats on the Willamette Shad love Bang tooooo. When tropic fish are purchased and moved to a new location they some times get/won't eat Garlic is an inhancer to make them feed.