PDA

View Full Version : June 14, 15: Kokanee on New Melones

FishWisher
06-16-2011, 10:49 PM
I'd pretty much given up New Melones a couple of years ago with the new toll booth they put up, but the reports have been terrific! I figured even I might catch a couple if things were that good.

I fished this past Tuesday evening and did pretty well for me, had four nice 14" or so kokes to the boat - and three into the ice chest - in a couple of hours. But the FF was giving me fits, reading 350' one minute and 33' the next. I'm hoping it was due to all the grass in the water - anyone have an idea about that? Also, I've learned that my new Tohatsu kicker needs a lower pitch prop - it was impossible to keep my speed below 2 mph without killing the kicker. This was my first trip trolling with the new kicker.

I anchored in the spillway bay for the night, trying for some trout under a light, but didn't do any good. Tried that once my last trip and got skunked, too. In years past that has worked well for me. It that not doing so well there nowadays?

Tried to troll some at sunrise but the grass was intolerable, the speed was too fast, and the FF drove me nuts. I reeled in and headed for home early.

I'm planning a motorhome/boat trip to Flaming Gorge in early September, so need to get better at this kokanee fishing. Two downriggers, lots of weeds and all the hassle of trolling for one old guy is like hanging wallpaper with one arm!

Some photos of my New Melones trip are at my website. I love that lake and it was great to see it so full - just 24' from the top.

Again - any comments on my goofy, fancy-shmancy FF would be appreciated. It's a high dollar Raymarine A70 that I'd never buy for myself but it came with the boat. There are just too many bells and whistles on that thing for this ol' geezer!

My website story of the trip is here (I'm not selling anything!): http://fishwisher.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/its-june-and-time-to-fish-new-melones-for-kokanee/

Dale