PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever....

Busspass
06-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Has anyone ever fished a dodger behind pop gear (i.e. Mack's flashlights trollers) on a SINGLE line (not off the downrigger ball?) Too much flash/drag? Or best of both worlds? Thanks guys.

SilverBullets
06-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Has anyone ever fished a dodger behind pop gear (i.e. Mack's flashlights trollers) on a SINGLE line (not off the downrigger ball?) Too much flash/drag? Or best of both worlds? Thanks guys.

I've never tried that...I don't like anymore drag on my line than a dodger. When useing pop gear/ball trolls I attatch to the ball. I have however used homemade spinner type set-up's (around 6" long consisting of some beads and a blade) in front of the dodger for added attraction. Check out the FWG dodgers...
http://www.fishwithgary.com/system2.html

Busspass
06-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Very interesting. I usually just use the Mack's flashlight pop gear because it's super light but I also would like to have some action on my hoochie. I thought maybe a "wild thing" dodger might impart just enough action to drag ratio? I dunno. I've also heard that Kokes can be a little bit intimidated by too much flash.

Koke-n-a-smile
06-12-2011, 09:38 PM
I always go with the less is more approach. That being said, some days the kokes really seem not to care about the flash. Other days, your boat may add too much flash.laugh hyst Just when you have them figured out, they change their minds! I say give it a try, and let us all know if it worked for youthumbsup

SilverBullets
06-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Very interesting. I usually just use the Mack's flashlight pop gear because it's super light but I also would like to have some action on my hoochie. I thought maybe a "wild thing" dodger might impart just enough action to drag ratio? I dunno. I've also heard that Kokes can be a little bit intimidated by too much flash.

From my experience too much flash can be a concern when the sun is high...mornings and overcast days not so much. If the flashlites kill the movement of the dodger try bending the dodger nose up tail down for more action or maybe add a foot of leader between them. Good luck...you might be on to something!thumbsup

Idahokanee
06-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Really? .....i just don't make enough money. I love toy's, extra lures, and the next new thing, just like everybody ...the more the better. But, i'm not sure this is needed gear. Maybe i'm the the idiot here, but I think you're over trying. Next it's going to be a "mag-light" tied to the line (joke). Busspass, I've been following your post, and i think you've got it down for the most part. But, short of dynamite, like Koke-n-a-smile said, less is more. :O)

have fun, catch fish. ...and if this works, let me know, I'm always the sucker for new ideas. :o) (he-he-he)

Busspass
06-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Ooooooh! Maglight! I think you're on to something:) I know I have a tendency to over do it. I just keep hearing how people run gear off their downriggers and thought that maybe I could modify it slightly to work for me until I can afford downriggers. Here's what I'm thinking : leaded line, Mack's flashlights, 24" leader, dodger, 12"-18" leader, hoochie or other. I'll try it. Heck why not. Ill let you all know.

jimbojump
06-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Wow...Hahahahaha....im at a loss here...I use a 4 inch dodger, snubber and a 20" leader going to my homeade hoochies...some with spinners and some plain...tearing it up just fine with that setup...I only change color and scent combos til the bite is on...sometimes its shrimp and sometimes herring and other days its Koke feast...whatever the combos are...they seem to be working for this guy! Whoo Hoo!

Busspass
06-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Good work Jimbo. I hope to get up to anderson this weekend but I'm not sure I'll make it. Might have to go to Un-Luck Peak and give it another go. Sure wish the fishing there would pick up.