PDA

View Full Version : on another note: Lets talk dodgers vs popgear

Busspass
06-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Dodger or popgear? Any one using the wild thing dodgers with a micro hooch? Was just wondering how well this set up works. I'm kinda worried that lil dodger won't produce enough flash. Anyone use popgear (like flashlights) and a dodger? Thanks

sawtooth
06-11-2011, 11:00 PM
When fish get below 40 feet down I will sometimes run a set of flashers on my downrigger ball with my dodger and chosen spinner/hoochie or whatever just above and behind the flashers. I hate having to drag a set of flashers on my line. If my presentation includes a lure or spinner that has it's own action I will sometime not use the dodger and this makes it just me and the 101chromefish101.

Ken Jones
06-16-2011, 08:44 PM
I lke flashers and dodgers. Popgear, Ford finders, I don't like pulling that extra weight, I like feeling the fish. Sometimes I think its a disadvantage to use pop gear because I think it may scare fish instead of attracking them. This is just my opinion.101chromefish101

SmokeOnTheWater
06-16-2011, 09:21 PM
You guys & gals ever use ball trolls? 101idea101

Ball Trolls are pop gear attached directly to the downrigger ball then stack your release to only the lure just above and behind the pop gear. Fish are attracted to the flash, see your lure presentation and the fight is on and the pop gear stays with the downrigger ball.

Ya'll might want to try it on your home lake and let us know how ya'll do? thumbsup

gonefishing
06-16-2011, 10:42 PM
I have used just about everything everyone is talking about including ball trolls, macks flasher, and all kinds of junk. I have flashers, and junk I can't even remember the name of what the brand is. I guess I could go take and inventory and list them. ??? More waisting of time.

SO,

I have reduced my use down to 3-4 different dodgers including ones with glow in the dark paint. I have most colors of hoochies that you can throw at them.

BUT,

Last year, I caught most of my fish at all depths with a 5" dodger with the right color strip down the middle (glowing versions) and 1 of 2 styles of hoochies.

The hoochies that killed them and never failed were RMT glow in the dark hoochies with orange or chartuses noses. What am I going to do with the other dozen or so colors I have.

However, before I discovered hoochies, I seemed to catch my limits of Kokanee on good days with willow leafs, or kokanee trolls with wedding rings.

There were several other new ideas I was told about before my migration to hoochies. Sense Hoochies I bought 4 new other ideas at the last sportsmans expo this early spring. I bet I don't get around to even trying them this year.

How is it, that we all catch fish year after year, and there are always new ideas and products to spend money on. HMMM101duh101

What I do like ahout Dodgers and Hoochies is low drag and I can feel the fish on pole much easier. I loose less fish with this combination, maybe 1 in 10.

ULTIMAELY,

How about, use the gear you have until you loose it and remember the basics.

Water Temp
Water clarity
The right Depth
The right Speed

And, just fish where the fish are at in the reservior.101chromefish101

LASTLY Just go have funthumbsup

Robert Jackson
06-17-2011, 08:04 PM
i use the wild thing dodgers with mini hooch and they work as well as any other dodger that i have used. the big plus to them is lower drag while fighting fish. i usually am dragging them 40-50 ft behind the ball 25-50feet deep 0.8-1.2mph. i have found that hooch color is more critical to hook ups than dodger color or size. dialing in the right speed for the day is just as important. i dont keep draging the same set up at the same speed past the same fish for very long, 2 passes max then change. once you get the color speed depth right it makes for fast fishing. i also think scent is more important than flash

gonefishing
06-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Robert,

When your thinking low drag, I think that is the track to be on. It does make a big difference. When I loose some of my hoochies, Im going to start looking into the micro hoochies also. I already have a bunch of the small dogers. I will use them earlier in the year when the fish are shallow.

Fishontooexcited

Aluma165
06-17-2011, 10:47 PM
General caveat: I catch the most kokanee with what I use the most...
I like the bright holographic pinks and red prism taped dodgers for shallow depths and the blues and greens for over 15-20 feet. I usually run a dodger, plus a prism taped beer can each side of the boat plus a long line in the middle with whatever I'm having the most luck on.
On the average day it seems like one rod catches 2-3 times better than the other two. The middle long line with non-lead weighted line will turn a lunker once in a while. (sometimes after an hour or so)
It's always nice when you can locate them with your finder and then racetrack back and forth. Some times everything works; other times nothing.
It's "fishing" not "catching", right?

redmanjr1
06-17-2011, 10:56 PM
When fish get below 40 feet down I will sometimes run a set of flashers on my downrigger ball with my dodger and chosen spinner/hoochie or whatever just above and behind the flashers. I hate having to drag a set of flashers on my line. If my presentation includes a lure or spinner that has it's own action I will sometime not use the dodger and this makes it just me and the 101chromefish101.

Same here except I'll use the flashers/popgear at most any depth. Have had good luck so far.

jimbojump
06-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Im kinda liking the idea of using a stacker clip on my DR and running some pop gear off the ball with just a snubber and hoochie about 4 feet behind the pop gear and a foot or two above it...that way when I hook up its just me and the fish...makes good sense...In Theory anyway..LOL

jimbojump
06-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Anyone ever try the blue and silver hoochies? I though if the kokes are striking territorially they may be more attracted to something that looks Kokish? Any thoughts?

redmanjr1
06-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Haven't tried the blue and silver...pink seems to work best for me and then sometimes the chart. Got to Anderson this morning and realized I forgot my bag of popgear and flashers!!!! violin

jimbojump
06-19-2011, 09:47 AM
LOL...that blows....I almost left my three scented corn tubs behind last week...turned around after ten minutes of driving to get em though...dont go anywhere without my CORN!

redmanjr1
06-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Yup, missing the corn would be a deal breaker.

Aluma165
06-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Anyone ever try the blue and silver hoochies? I though if the kokes are striking territorially they may be more attracted to something that looks Kokish? Any thoughts?

Interesting. I do know for a fact that blue and silver or blue and black combinations in flies, spoons and spinners slay trout in most Idaho waters. My go to colors...