PDA

View Full Version : E-tec question

Pzak
06-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm hoping that someone has an answer for a recent problem I am experiancing. I have a 2005 75 HP E-tec and last weekend while running at full throttle, I noticed a rooster tail about 8' high directly next to the outboard on the right (starboard) side. I had no idea what caused it and immediately reached for the throttle and put the boat in neutral. I felt the engine cut out as soon as I started pulling back. I have no idea if I had hit something or not. I never felt anything and saw nothing obvious in the water. There was some smaller pieces of drift wood around, but I do not think I hit one. Maybe, I don't know for sure. I do know that there is no damage to my prop and nothing wrapped in or around it. When I tried to start the engine, it would not turn over. It acted like it was not getting fuel. I limped in with the kicker and have tried a few times since to start it. It sounds like it wants to, and even sounds great for a 1/2 sec or so then dies. I know there are a lot of years of exp on this board...what should I look at before I take it to the dealer...

skookum9
06-11-2011, 10:14 PM
I would probably begin by popping the cowling and looking for any visible signs of damage, things like heat damage to wiring or hoses. The next thing I would try is a compression test and make sure that I hadn't an physical problems that I could obviously identify. Out of desperation, I would probably take a look at my fuel and oil supply lines and make sure that there was no lacking in delivery of either. All of this, of course, after I had checked to make sure that I hadn't taken a piece of debris into the cooling system. With a high-tech motor like that, I am sure that they have some system shut-downs built into the protocol that may be keeping you from starting the motor. If the physical exam checked out okay and the compression test looked good, I wouldn't know what else to try except to take it in and have it looked at by a professional.

Good luck with your motor. That's far too nice of a rig to lose out on. I hope you get it running again soon, and hopefully without digging too deeply into your wallet.

Pzak
06-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks Skookum9....I will start looking around for a compression gauge tomorrow. As far as under the cowling goes, there are just a few wires under there...all of them look ok from what I can tell. Fuel / oil lines appear fine as well. Engine has been great to me until now. Hope it is something minor.

lowe1648mt
06-12-2011, 01:34 AM
I would suspect that one of those small pieces of driftwood became lodged infront of your lower unit. That would cause a rooster tail. It would also cause your water pump to suck air. It could cause an overheat problem that will show up as low compression. Good Luck.

Pzak
06-12-2011, 02:23 AM
That is as good a theory as I have been able to come up with. Problem is, to "reset" the engine, I need to start it...this is not frustrating at all....

lowe1648mt
06-12-2011, 10:09 AM
When you rty to start the moyor, does the starter engage the fly wheel? If it does, does the fly wheel turn? If not, then can you turn the fly wheel by hand(with the plugs out and the key off )? If not, then take it to the repair shop. If the starter turns the fly wheel, check for spark at the spark plug wies. I you have spark, you are back to the compression check. If no compression, or the motor won't rotate, take it to a shop.

Bduck
06-12-2011, 12:24 PM
With the E-TECH motor, I'm sure all have seen the infomercials on these motors as I have. Their demos and warranty package is impressive along with the high dollar amount they are asking. I'm the type that would check to see if there is any onvious obstruction of any type. Even checking under the cowling as mentioned doesn't hurt. I'm for saving a few bucks. But if you have a warranty of any type, becareful not to void this in anyway. If its tagged with "marine" on it, its tagged with high dollars.

Pzak
06-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys, the motor is out of warranty but savvy advise. The flywheel will turn and the motor sounds like it wants to start. It sounds like it is out of gas, but I know its not. The motor ran great up to the point of that crazy rooster tail. Im starting to think that maybe I did fowl the prop and it shut itself off. I have searched for any sort of reset I can find online with no luck. I hope you guys went and slayed some fish today. Weather was perfect the last two days here.

Full_Monte
06-18-2011, 05:41 AM
I run a 90hp Etec and it's pretty much the same motor as the 75. I have not seen the rooster tail issue yet. It may be that the rooster tail and the engine not starting are not related. Have you made sure your oil level is full? It won't run without enough oil in the tank, and the level where it shuts you down to a slow speed may surprise you. Fill it up to eliminate this possibility. You have to use the special oil made for your engine, not some other brand. There is a tag on the engine oil line that tells you which oil to use. There are three choices and the engine can be tuned to use any of them, but don't use different oils than the one on the tag. The next thing I would check is for a fouled plug. The Etecs are so accurately controlled that I doubt it's something bad. Also, do NOT use the idle speed lever on the throttle control. It is only used for oil fogging when the Etec is going to be stored. Constant use of this for idle speed control can foul plugs.

Pzak
06-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks Monte,
The oil res was full of XD100. I took the boat to the shop and he was able to get the engine to start. Although the gas did not have a bunch of water in it, it is the leading suspect of the engine problems. I am in the process of draining the tank now and will have a new filter and plugs put in. The rooster may have been caused by something fouled on the transducer bracket and looks like it was purely a coinindence. I know everyone knows this, but make sure the gas is good. I thought mine was....

Full_Monte
06-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks Monte,
The oil res was full of XD100. I took the boat to the shop and he was able to get the engine to start. Although the gas did not have a bunch of water in it, it is the leading suspect of the engine problems. I am in the process of draining the tank now and will have a new filter and plugs put in. The rooster may have been caused by something fouled on the transducer bracket and looks like it was purely a coinindence. I know everyone knows this, but make sure the gas is good. I thought mine was....

You have my sympathies in your tank draining project. I did that a month or two ago. Not fun.

redmanjr1
06-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Yes, the old tank draining chore...definitely not envious but I am very happy to hear you found the problem. I take it there is a local gas station you have decided not to visit anymore? Tight lines...

Bob

skookum9
06-19-2011, 02:23 AM
Pzak,
That is fantastic that your motor is back and that bad gas was the only probable cause. I sympothize with you about bad gas, that has cost me a lot of money over the years since they started cheapening our gas quality. It took me having to pay to have three different pieces of lawn machinery repaired or replaced before I learned my lesson but I sure have by now. I'd love to get my hands on some of those environmental kooks that think it's a good idea to put corn in your gasoline. It's a bad thing in every direction, even for the farmer who raises the corn.

Pzak
06-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Hey guys, I hope I did not jinx myself. I am very hopeful that the gas was the problem but have not been back to the shop yet to make sure, as the filter has not yet arrived. I was able to get out this morning though running just the kicker... Great fishing at Arrowrock. Found both kokes and 'bows.