PDA

View Full Version : Wickiup 5/4 and 6/5

Fallriverguy
06-07-2011, 06:34 PM
I fished Wickiup both last Saturday and Sunday. Saturday I was joined by a friend. It was windy from the get go but not too bad at first. However, the wind continued to build throughout the day. The fishing was slow and bites came in bursts. At least once all four rods got hit in quick succession. All 10 of the fish we caught were small and ranged between 12 and 12.5 inches. Historically, slow fishing at Wickiup was countered with nice feisty hard fighting fish between 14 and 16 inches. The cost to benefit ratio is definitely low. Still it was a good day.

Sunday I fished solo and had decent action in the morning. I had two doubles and found that exciting trying to land both. Being in a hurry with the first fish I attempted to lift the fish into the boat without netting them. While I have had good luck with this in the past, I lost three fish this way before deciding to net them all. The fish stopped biting at 11 so I pulled the plug at 12 with 7 fish. Two being larger fish between 14 and 15 inches and the rest were the smaller size class.

There is still a lot of water in the reservoir and the fish are on the feed and gaining some girth. The water temperature is all the way up to 51F. Most fish were taken with spinners behind 0000 dodger or sling blades. Green, blue and pink were the best colors. The fish are still scattered and had the downriggers set between 5 and 20 feet.

I think my next trip will be to Odell since the fish there are the same size as the majority of the ones at Wickiup.

Beautiful sunrise Sunday.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/W110605a.JPG

Random photo I took.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/W110605b.JPG

Sunday’s bounty.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/W110605c.JPG

rods58
06-07-2011, 07:02 PM
What year is your Boulton, I have an 07 Skiff with 135/8 Hondas

mrmike
06-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Thank you for the Wickiup report/ fished it memorial day weekend/ fish are extremely hungry but need to figure them out/ I've never seen it this way up there I had 49.9 degree water nice temp and clear just horrible weather conditions. I kind of old fashioned and keep it simple. You can't beat a wedding ring with the right juice on it. and the right colored flasher.

HiTechKoke
06-08-2011, 01:21 AM
Nice fish and photos Brian! That sunrise is photo winning material.

kokaneekid
06-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Nice Post Brian... Good to see your getting some good use out of that brand new boat of yours.... Don't worry about the scales and blood that your getting in it that will just add charactor to it...

Looked good in the water at Crescent Plus it was very lucky.... Nice win 101cheers101see you at Green Peter

Fish On kokaneekid

Fallriverguy
06-08-2011, 12:17 PM
What year is your Boulton, I have an 07 Skiff with 135/8 Hondas

11 skiff with 115 suzi and 9.9 yamaha.

twisted lines
06-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks for your posts Bri. I was getting all geared up for the road, now its just a different one. but I may see that shiny new thing....... TL

SilverBullets
06-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Great report and pictures...thanks for sharing!!101goodpost101