PDA

View Full Version : Detroit lake any suggestions or updates

carvingfish
06-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Going to Detroit lake thursday and friday, Have never fished it before. Does anyone have any suggestions they feel they can share. As what works best there and where and how deep to fish?
Have fished yale lake before, but that is only Kok fishing I have done.
Anyone going to be there thursday and friday?
We will be staying at Detroit lake lodge
Will be in blue silver alumaweld Blackhawk boat with Honda on it. Has a n Eagle head morfing into USA flag on the side. Please stop by and say hi!
Bruce

kokaneekid
06-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Going to Detroit lake thursday and friday, Have never fished it before. Does anyone have any suggestions they feel they can share. As what works best there and where and how deep to fish?
Have fished yale lake before, but that is only Kok fishing I have done.
Anyone going to be there thursday and friday?
We will be staying at Detroit lake lodge
Will be in blue silver alumaweld Blackhawk boat with Honda on it. Has a n Eagle head morfing into USA flag on the side. Please stop by and say hi!
Bruce

Haven't fished it yet this year... I've heard of some nice kok's being caught up their around the island... Down by the dam has been good for kok's in years past, but most people that fish Detroit are after rainbows... Spinner with power bait in the top 15 feet of water run gear way behind your boat and it will be PLANTER CITY.... If I had to guess kok's are going to be in 35 to 40 feet of water and I'm sure they are scattered...

Let me know if you catch any kok's and how big they are.... I have a camp spot up their with a boat dock but I haven't been using it because the Kokanee fishing hasn't been hot since 2007... This might be the turning point year plus you can only keep 5 kok's unlike the 25 at Green Peter...

Fish On kokaneekid

mrmike
06-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Had a friend fish it this Saturday(4th) a lot of stocker rainbows first 15 feet of the water column trolling worms/ they planted 250,000 landlocked Chinook way back/ they did this for a few years in Green Peter and Detroit extremely aggressive fish and very good eating. My buddy landed one about 17/18 inches and a limit of trout was to windy to fish at the dam. He fished at the top end of a Island sorry I don't know its name its directly across from Mongold boat ramp top end of the Island has camp area its out of the weather fish the right side hope this helps/we were targeting landlock chinook but lately unable to locate the big ones

Kokanut
06-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Check out Kent Cannon's web site. He gives some good info on Detroit as well as other lakes. kentcannon.com I always did well for trout on both sides of the island with a ford fender and wedding ring with a worm. Watch out for the east end of the island as it is very shallow and you will hang up on the bottom. It has been several years since I've fished up there, but I caught some Kokes off the west end of the island toward the south shore. You need to get down deeper for the kokanee, maybe 30-45 ft and use white shoe peg corn instead of the worm. Same rig will work or pick up some Apex lures to run behind your favorite lake troll. I like silver for both the lake troll and apex. Dodgers and hoochies work good also. I like the sling blade.

Good luck and let us know how you do. I like it up there, and have been thinking about heading up there myself.

mrmike
06-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Hello carvingfish/hope I can help the go to bait is firecracker Herring 4/5 inches cut plug or whole/ no flasher 7 ft leader. also substitute is anchovies 4/5 inches. this bait is used also for bull trout Lake Billy Chinook and for large trout I've actually caught 17 inch trout on herring. short leader off the down rigger 20/25ft.No flasher because flash inn clear water will repel fish the short leader off the down-rigger clip the fish sometime don't take it off the snap. I actually us a 7 weight fly rod blank converted to a open face reel/dam and the Island the hot spots hope this helps

Gill T Pleasures
06-09-2011, 01:11 AM
I'm there most every weekend... usually catching the rainbows and as others have said off the island or down in the Hoover arm near the entrance to the Santiam River. Just got new downriggers for my boat and hope to go after some Kokes soon. I heard they caught a few 15" about 25-35 feet down near the west end of the island. If you see me out there say hi.. 20' red Boulton with grey top with Yamahas on the back end...