PDA

View Full Version : Nantahala in July

potomacduck
06-07-2011, 09:29 AM
I will be at Nantahala July 9-16. I'm a competant fisherman but I've never caught Kokes before.

I can see most are caught on downriggers. Has anyone tried three way rigs with 4-5 ounces of weight?

Please educate me as to what I need to give this a serious try.

Josh

rgarbar
06-07-2011, 07:58 PM
IMHO you would need a boat capable of sustained trolling at 1.0 to 1.5mph.
A good fish finder to find the current depth the kokanee are inhabiting.
Tackle and lures designed to catch kokanee. Conventional lures do not tend to work on kokanee. Most serious fishermen make their own custom lures or buy them from west coast dealers. Check out some of the advertisers on this site. Wedding ring spinners, hootchies and kokanee killers have been sucessful for me. Keep it simple. Some fishermen use depsy divers,lead core line and planner boards to get the lures to depth. I prefer down riggers with a good depth gauge because I can accurately place the lure to where I am marking fish. The lake basin gets very hot during the day that time of year. Protect yourself from the sun. Lastly and most important you need to focus and have patience. It took me some time to catch my first koke. I am still a novice at the art. July is an excellent month to fish for kokanee at Nantahala. By then they will not be all over the water column as they are now. They will probably be at about the 35' to 65' level. Boat traffic and where duke energy is drawing water for generating can effect the target depth. Good Luck.

1bigfish
06-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Dear Duck,

I will be up there the same time. I am not a expert but have caught a few. I should be there at the same time. Look for a 17' Boston Whaler.

1bigfish

potomacduck
06-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys, great info. I will be there with downriggers, trolling motor and an accurate GPS for speed. If anyone wants to PM me with areas to try and lure recommendaitons I'd appreciate it. I promise no spot burning !

rgarbar
06-14-2011, 07:03 AM
By late July the kokes will be out of the coves and branches and located in the main body of the lake. A good place to start is the dam area. They are usually between 35' to 65'. I have caught none deeper. Watch your sonor/depthinder for the under water ridges. They can wreck havoc on your cannonballs and lures. The fish stacked up on the ridges are not kokanee but probably walleye, smallmouth or perch. Exeperiment with your line releases. These are a major player. Watch those rod tips like a hawk. Sometimes the kokes hit hard and fast. Sometimes a little tap will be a fish on. Other things to deal with are dense morning fogs, sudden thunderstorms and rude recreational boaters.

1bigfish
06-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Dear Rgarbar,

Thanks for your reply. I now have a cabin on the lake June 26-July 3 for the new moon. Do you think the kokes will be out of the coves by then? My wife rented a cabin 18 miles from the lake July 9-16. Looks like a am going to put in some serious time fishing. I now will have two down riggers since I ordered repair parts for the second rigger. Any suggestions on lure color? Last trip up on September 6th, the only koke we caught was on a watermelon colored dodger and hoocthie but we also caught a really nice rainbow then went to Calderwood where the same lure also produced. Based on your comments, it appears you like to keep it simple. Are you fan of dodgers, corn or attractors? Can I catch up with you for a fish head deposit if i get lucky? Look for me in a 17' Boston Whaler.

potomacduck
06-28-2011, 07:17 AM
I really appreciate the info. I will give it my best shot. Any advice on specific lures and dodgers that have worked for you?

rgarbar
06-28-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm in FL right now suffering in the heat and humidity and have replaced the chigger bites for mosquito bites and really missing Nantahala Lake. Went out for an hour or so with my wife last Saturday(she's a real Jonah when it comes to fishing). Caught one koke and lost one when it wrapped itself around a downrigger cable and cut the line. I would try a small flo green dodger with a flo green squid or hootchie to start. I would fish between 35' and 45' but would keep and eye on the fish finder as that can change. Due to recent rains there was a lot of debris in the water at the time. Some decent sized branches, limbs and some construction lumber. Did not fish very long as Jonah had to use the ladies room. Let us know how you made out.

potomacduck
07-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Hey guys, I can't think you enough for the help. We had a wonderful week on the lake and did pretty well in the Kokanees, our biggest fish was a beautiful 20 inch 3-2. We had some happy fisherman and some nice grilled filets.

Oh, and I met 1bigfish.........great guy, nice boat.

1bigfish
07-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Yep, had a good trip to the lake. Caught a few salmon and a nice walleye.
Met up with Potomacduck while fishing then later doing the family thing. Good duck.

1bigfish
07-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Potomacduck,

NC offer has a fishing citation program you may qulify for. Google "North Carolina Angler Recognition Program"

1Bigfish