PDA

View Full Version : GP 06/05 - Prefish for the Kokanee Power Derby

kokaneekid
06-05-2011, 09:31 PM
So I waited until Sunday thinking with the hot weather the fish would have time to move down the water column which they did, the main point in hitting the lake besides picking up some of the best tasting fish around was to pre-fish for the Kokanee Power of Oregon Derby next Saturday, 06/11/11. Not to give away to many secrets, but most fish were picked up in 45 feet of water and they are still not schooled up like last year so we had to hunt for them and then keep on them. We did get one double and did pick up some around 14 inches but most are running around 12 to 13 picked up a half dozen rainbow that we put back in the lake and ended the day with 15 kok’s lots of boats on the water and the weather was perfect.

Fish On kokaneekid

Kokanut
06-06-2011, 05:01 PM
So I waited until Sunday thinking with the hot weather the fish would have time to move down the water column which they did, the main point in hitting the lake besides picking up some of the best tasting fish around was to pre-fish for the Kokanee Power of Oregon Derby next Saturday, 06/11/11. Not to give away to many secrets, but most fish were picked up in 45 feet of water and they are still not schooled up like last year so we had to hunt for them and then keep on them. We did get one double and did pick up some around 14 inches but most are running around 12 to 13 picked up a half dozen rainbow that we put back in the lake and ended the day with 15 kok’s lots of boats on the water and the weather was perfect.

Fish On kokaneekid
Should have been there on Saturday. Just Kidding. We camped at Sunnyside and fished Fri, Sat, and Sunday. Our best day was on Saturday. We had more wind to deal with but caught some really nice ones. They where running 5-10 feet deeper on Saturday than Sunday and I think the size was better too. Maybe we just got into them better on Saturday. Picked up 25 on Saturday, only 10 on Sunday. But then 10 was the magic number my wife was looking for. That was her limit for time spent on the boat.

I'm not signed up for the derby, but thought about fishing that day anyway, but I'm wondering how many extra boats does this bring in. It isn't so bad out on the lake, but the boat ramp and parking get kinda crazy. I've never been there on a derby day, so how is it?

Good luck to everyone
Bob

kokaneekid
06-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Should have been there on Saturday. Just Kidding. We camped at Sunnyview and fished Fri, Sat, and Sunday. Our best day was on Saturday. We had more wind to deal with but caught some really nice ones. They where running 5-10 feet deeper on Saturday than Sunday and I think the size was better too. Maybe we just got into them better on Saturday. Picked up 25 on Saturday, only 10 on Sunday. But then 10 was the magic number my wife was looking for. That was her limit for time spent on the boat.

I'm not signed up for the derby, but though about fishing that day anyway, but am wondering how many extra boats does this bring in. It isn't so bad out on the lake, but the boat ramp and parking get kinda crazy. I've never been there on a derby day, so how is it?

Good luck to everyone
Bob

It's not that bad because the guys that fish the derbies are really good at putting their boats in, and taking them out, it's the water skiers and people you haven't ran their boat all year that make the docks a mess. And if your going to fish Green Peter on Saturday sign up for the derby, you'll get lunch and we have a ton of raffle prizes that will be handed out after the derby, plus it's the best group of kokanee nuts you'll see around. We would love to have you join in on the fun.

Fish On kokaneekid

daveo
06-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Good job on the kokes kid and good luck in the tounament. I was sighned up with my son and really looking forward to it until a unexpeceted death of a very good friend of the family occured and the service is being held Saturday.
I did fish by myself on 6-2 and to my suprise put the hurt on them. Pink was the color that day and 34 feet was the magic depth. The island and dam were both booting out fish. Had to stop and take the motor out of gear a couple of times to catch my breath as it was a chinese fire drill at times!
For an extra bonus I ran into the gentleman who won the Green Peter tournament at Sunnyside Park fish cleaning station and enjoyed telling lies to each other
Going to fish Thursday to get my weekly fix. Best wishes to all this weekend
Hope to see you next years tournament....Dave

mrmike
06-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the up-date report/ not going to fish the derby this weekend but good luck to you all. Its a little to crazy at the ramps for my like in and parking problem. Fishing a Shad tournament how I don't know all the boat ramps are under water.

kokaneekid
06-06-2011, 08:39 PM
For an extra bonus I ran into the gentleman who won the Green Peter tournament at Sunnyside Park fish cleaning station and enjoyed telling lies to each other
Going to fish Thursday to get my weekly fix. Best wishes to all this weekend
Hope to see you next years tournament....Dave

Never known Ron Walker to tell a lie. He live right by Green Peter so he knows the lake REALLY GOOD.... I guess you could say he is the guy to beat on this one. Pretty quiet on the internet to I think it's because he has a full time job cleaning kok's... Maybe I'll see you at Green Peter this year Dave.. I know I'll be seeing Ron Walker and I'll just shake his hand and try to get his corn formula. It's all in good fun and there are a ton of people that make every derby so it's kind of like a big family that I enjoy fishing with... Sorry to hear about your loss hope everything goes well... Try and make the Wickiup and the Odell lake derby would love to meet you & the kid..

Fish On kokaneekid

bigbobwilliams
06-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Were you fishing at 45 feet or did you have the downriggers a little higher to account for line drop. I'm never sure when someone says they were at X feet or if thats where the fish are and I should be running higher. how far back and how many feet above the sited fish level do you run your downriggers to? Also, do you have a favorite scent? We were new to the lake last summer, but any help would be appreciated since with gas prices what they are, It's a hundred dollar bill every time I take my dad up there. also, what speed are you trolling at?

bigbobwilliams
06-08-2011, 08:17 PM
anybody ever try fresh white corn instead of canned? on sale at safeway LOL

Kokaneegal
06-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Last year we used fresh white corn out of the garden. Worked just the same as canned.

kokaneekid
06-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Were you fishing at 45 feet or did you have the downriggers a little higher to account for line drop. I'm never sure when someone says they were at X feet or if thats where the fish are and I should be running higher.

I can see my downriggers and my stacked line on the screen of my fish finder that way I know exactly where my gear is, and I don't have to account for blow back or that maybe my counter on the downrigger are off.. so if I say, "45 feet" my gear is at 45 feet... lot of people don't like to see their gear on the screen but I love it..

Fish On kokaneekid

daveo
06-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Good fishing today 6 09. Depth was different than last week and was around 52 feet in early hours and around 42 feet later. Fish seemed to have moved and were found in a more westerly direction. Quite a few boats with what looked like a moderate bite. For us early was best but fish could be caught later also. Some nice lunkers were caught in the mix. Wish I could be there Saturday but cant so Best wishes to all fishing the tournament.