PDA

View Full Version : Lost Lake, Mt. Hood Fishing Question

Fish_Or_Die
06-02-2011, 11:56 PM
So I will be heading up to our cabin near Government Camp and me and my dad were going to go try Lost Lake for the second time. The first time we went there was the very first time I had ever tried trolling for trout, which didnt work out so well. We got skunked from the boat, but I have a pretty good idea of what set ups I need now. Any advice on the lake. Where to troll, what to use, ect.. Any information will be greatly apperciated, Thanks.101chromefish101

skookum9
06-03-2011, 01:17 AM
I've only fished that lake once and was fly fishing for brook trout. I caught a few but mostly was not at all impressed by the lake. It might be great for small koke's but at that time there certainly weren't any of any size and for trout fishing, there just wasn't enough shallow areas on the lake to provide adequate food supply to help them grow and be healthy. I believe this is refered to as an oligotrophic lake. Keep in mind though that when I fished this lake it was nearly 20 years ago and things do change. What doesn't change much though is that it still wouldn't have good a good food shelf to help feed the trout well. I hope you find this to no longer be the case and you catch a bunch of good sized fish. I just went up to Timothy Lake for the first time last weekend and had a great time and plan to take my granddaughter back up there with me this weekend since the weather is supposed to be nice. It's not far from Government Camp and it has plenty of food for the fish there. If you decide to try it, I found a ton of fish in it and lots of them were all around the structure along the shore, including the little kokanee there. Good luck to you.