PDA

View Full Version : Stampede in the snow

MXDAD777
06-02-2011, 12:30 AM
The wife, daughter, son in law, granddaughters and myself headed up to Stampede on Wednesday afternoon for a nice relaxing long Memorial Day weekend. After getting held up on a closed I-80 we finally made it over the pass cruising along at a blistering 30 mph. We finally pulled into Logger campground at 11:30 PM during a blizzard. We got to bed and woke up the next day to 2" of fresh snow. By the afternoon most of the snow had melted and we were good to go, or so we thought. Friday morning we were launching the boat at 5:30 on a very windy and rough Stampede. At 6:00 the downriggers were being lowered into the water and by 6:15 it was on! By now (although the wind was terrible) we had forgot about the weather and were busy with constant action including a few doubles. At 8:00 we were culling fish and ended up calling it a morning at 9:00 with 10 nice kokes in the box with the largest going 16.5 inches. We boated 17 fish and had a few other LDR's.
Saturday morning we headed out at the same time with just about the same conditions. The wind didn't seem to be quite as stiff, but for some reason the water seemed rougher. We were hoping for a repeat of the previous awesome day and we headed back to the same spot. Once again we immediately started hammering the fish. Believe it or not, it was even a better day. We were culling fish by 7:30 and boated over 20 fish. We were trying for 10 fish over 15", but had to keep a couple of smaller ones due to the damage they sustained during their fight. We ended the day at 9:00 again with 10 very nice fish and two going 16.5 inches.
Saturday afternoon the snow started and didn't stop. We woke up Sunday morning with about 5" of fresh snow and decided to call it a weekend and head home a day early. All in all we had an AWESOME two days of fishing and a lousy few days of weather. Still a great trip.

My son in law and I with Saturday's keepers
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o154/fastener/IMG_2050.jpg

What we woke up to Sunday morning
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o154/fastener/IMG_2078.jpg

HiTechKoke
06-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Now that is a fishing adventure... what whacky weather we are having this year... more snow possible up there this weekend. Tks for the report.

Kevin

Tahoe Whaler
06-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Nice catch! What was working? Can you share any tips??

101chromefish101

MXDAD777
06-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Nice catch! What was working? Can you share any tips??

101chromefish101

Pink was the hot color, 20 to 25 feet deep.

Tahoe Whaler
06-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the tip!