PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota Engine Mount

mechdawg
05-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Hey all again,
After lots of deliberation we decided to go with a Minn Kota EM101 for our trolling needs instead of idling with drift socks. I have to say we are thrilled at the performance of the Minn Kota so far for trolling. On the down side our first time out with it and the stern wont come high enough out of the water on plane to get the trolling motor fully out of the water. Im sure this is not good for the trolling motor and has slowed our top speed down by about 5mph. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now the 3 batteries for the trolling motor are located under the aft most seat so I may gain some by relocating them under the bow or center hatch. I have thought about smart tabs as well.

If I didnt mention it we are running a 21' Sea Ray runabout with a 260 mercruiser I/O. Minn Kota 101lbs thrust engine mount.

Thanks again to all.

Tim

Full_Monte
05-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Trolling motors aren't designed to make a boat get up on a plane. Trolling speeds are typically less than 3mph, and for Kokanee, in the .7 to 1.7 mph. If all the additional batteries make the stern too heavy, moving them forward may help float the boat more level in the water.

SuperD
05-29-2011, 10:34 AM
I agree with jekern's response below. My opinion of smart tabs is they are more designed for left to right adjustments, not front to back.

jekern1015
05-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I moved my 2 batteries up to the bow and that made a big difference with the weight distribution in my boat. I also added one of those hydrofoil fins to my outboard to help get it up on plane. I would try this first to see if you can get your boat to plane before spending the money on smart tabs. I hope this helps a little.

mechdawg
05-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the tips all. I will try to move the batteries first since that will be the cheapest and easiest solution. As for the hydrafoil I dont think I can mount one on my outdrive since the trolling motor is already mounted there. Thats why I was thinking about the smart tabs.

Old School
05-31-2011, 02:43 PM
How deep it the minnkota when you are in trolling mode? Is there any room or way to raise it or mount it a little higher? Shims or something?

mechdawg
05-31-2011, 08:19 PM
I havnt measured just how deep it is yet. I have thought about shimming it but it gets tight with the alpha one outdrive trim actuators. I will try to get some pics and post them for you all to see.