PDA

View Full Version : 450 lb Daytime Swordfish caught in Islamorada!

syxx
05-27-2011, 02:08 PM
For my brother, Capt. Nick Stanczyk aboard the "BnM" out of Bud n' Mary's Marina in Islamorada, Florida, it started out just like any summer day. We caught about 20 schoolie size mahi (3 to 5 lbs), then stopped at one of the humps and caught a 20 lb almaco jack. After that Dean wanted to put his time in for a swordfish, so the Florida Swordfish Charter began. We ran out another 15 miles, sent a bait to the bottom, and starting drifting. We drifted for an hour then checked the bait, it was a little chewed up, but not by swordfish. I told him not to get discouraged, we still had plenty of time. We ran back, sent a fresh bait to the bottom, and after about 10 minutes I saw a bite. Dean started winding, the weight broke off, and the fish raced for the surface. After about 25 minutes of winding, the swordfish broke water, and made a spectacular jump. I told him it was a big fish, somewhere between 300-400 lbs. We get the fish near the boat, but something is wrong, the bait and hook are twisted up in the line right at the rod tip, and the fish is still 40 feet away!... The sword had attacked one of the LP LIGHTS! She just had the leader wrapped up around her bill! The fish swims a few circles around the boat, and then heads to the bottom. We were in 1600' of water, but the fish gets a big belly in the line, and manages to take off a total of 2500'! The fish drowns after an hour, and we could feel dead weight. We start inching the big fish up, and after a total fight of 4 hours, we sink the gaffs into her. The fish had a lower jaw fork length of 103''! Great job Dean! Congrats on your first Broadbill Swordfish! We steam for the dock, make the call to fire up the forklift, and up comes the big sword. The fish weighed in at 450 lbs! It's one of the biggest swordfish ever caught in the Florida Keys on rod and reel!

Capt. Rick Stanczyk

http://www.budnmarysblog.com/storage/450%20sword%20hang%205-24-11.jpg

http://www.budnmarysblog.com/storage/450%20sword%205-24-11.jpg

SeaDog
05-28-2011, 02:59 AM
Hi!

Use to harpoon them on Geoges Bank off Massachusetts.

We'd cut the swords off them, put them on an ant hill -> and in a week or so the ants would clean out the swords.

Then we'd mount the swords with plaque stating when, where, weight, etc.

Great trophy to have! thumbsup

SeaDog