PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Arrowrock

idahowolverine
05-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Hey guys I was thinking of trying Arrowrock this weekend. I have never fished it before so any advice would help. Also how accessible are the launches there. I have heard it has some nice size fish in it if you can keep the squaw fish off your line. I just wanted to do some exploring.

sawtooth
05-26-2011, 12:22 AM
According to the internet, the ramp is accessable and should be fine for launching your boat. I haven't been up there yet this year, but my guess is that the kokes will still be in the top twenty feet and getting your gear past the squawfish could be a challenge. I usually wait until the water warms up enough to get the kokes down around 30 to 40 feet. The squaws usually stay in the top 25 ft of water throughout the summer. The kokes there are usually an inch or two larger than at LP, but the road in can be a bit hard on the boat and trailer. I usually try to keep the boat covered on the way in because the road can get real dusty and can make a mess of your boats interior. Hoochies, spinners, and other koke lures all have their place behind a dodger at Arrowrock. Area near the dam on the road side has been productive in the past. Side away from the road can also be good, but keep an eye on your electronics as the area is filled with ledges and high spots that can do a number on your downrigger. The south fork branch of the lake has also produced some good days for us. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ken Jones
05-26-2011, 02:00 PM
I have found out fishing Arrowrock and up in the South Fork arm, If I'm catching squawfish I'm trolling to slow. Step it up abit and it won't happen. Try trolling 1.5 and a little faster. Up two 2 miles per hour. Good luck. Fifty years experience.

idahowolverine
05-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the info guys. We might try it on Saturday but it depends on the weather. I just wanted to try something new and I have heard there are some big rainbows in there and wanted to have a tussle with one of them.

Ken Jones
05-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Yes, you can catch some big Rainbows in Arrowrock. Kokanee fishing is very good also. Same big fish thats in Lucky Peak Res. I have caught 5lb. trout in Arrowrock. I like trolling with a 1/4oz. Kastmaster in Blue and Silver color. The other I like just as well is the thomas cyclone 1/4oz. in either silver or gold, you can't go wrong with any of these lures. The lures I have 50 plus years using. Ken. Good luck. Jointed Rapala in the Orange and white belly. I have livd in Idaho all my life. Born in Boise.101chromefish101

luckykoke
05-27-2011, 03:30 PM
I was at Arrowrock May 11th. Just working not fishing but we put a boat in on the ramp. Elevation that day was 3155.71' and now the elevation is 3181.90' so you will have no problem getting a boat in. There was a lot of debris in the water due to the high flows so watch out for that. Otherwise good luck.
Lucky

idahowolverine
05-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Had a great time up at Arrowrock yesterday. Got on the water at 8 and fished until about 5. Caught 16 rainbow 10 to 15 inches and 9 kokanee with one 17 and 16 inch fish. We had to go through about 50 plus squaw fish to get them. Saw a of cool wildlife eagles,sandhills,elk and a pair a eastern loons and a blue heron that just loves squaw fish. He will fly up to your boat until you give him a squaw. We gave him 3 over the day. It was pretty funny. Trolled over 2 mph and still caught squaws and even caught a couple down at 60 foot. They were all over the place. We marked some massive schools of them. My 9 yr son doesn't care what kind of fish is one the line so he had a great time.

Ken Jones
05-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Okay, I guess I was wrong when I wrote the faster you troll the less squaw fish you catch. I always picked the darn things up trolling two slow. Apparently that isn't the case now. Well the cranes ate good and others. Congratulations on a great fishing trip with family. I was talking too a fish and game Biologist he said one of the reasons why Lucky Peak fish, Kokanee that is, get so big, that is because of the abundunce of Plankton, and fresh water shrimp in Lucky Peak. With the high run off there will be more plankton and fresh water shrimp washed in from Arrowrock into LuckyPeak. He also said, the reason the Kokanee in Anderson ranch are small because there wasn't enough food. Over population of Kokanee is the problem. Its been that way for years. I think put a non limit on the kokes for a couple years two cut down on the spowners. They have three tributarys too spown in, South Fork of the Boise above Featherville, Lime Creek, and Fall creek.101chromefish101

jimbojump
05-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Went up Saturday and fished for Kokes on Arrowrock res...no Kokes...no not one...of any size...trout on the other hand were killing my Koke gear and I wasnt fishing trout gear either...havent caught a single trout on LP with my stuff...fished exactly the same way and all we got were trout...ugh...are there Kokes in there? LOL

jimbojump
05-30-2011, 11:27 AM
What is the friggen deal with stupid people trolling on an empty lake and insisting on cutting me off all the time...we were shooting a straight line and some dorks came outta nowhere and cut me off and because of wind and such we had to turn across the back of them to avoid them...I asked how far out their gear was and they said I should be fine but sure enough....even though I was 150 yards from them their rigs got hung on my Driggs...and they complained...nice...then later a couple guys in a little aluminum came outta nowhere and powered up my backside and cut right in front of me...I just dont understand why this is happening...wtfoo? I can see it happening on a busy lake with lots of traffic but the lake was virtually empty...Im actually considering packin iron next time in case it gets ugly...a little advice is welcomed as im relatively new to this stuff...

vanweld1
05-30-2011, 03:34 PM
What is the friggen deal with stupid people trolling on an empty lake and insisting on cutting me off all the time...we were shooting a straight line and some dorks came outta nowhere and cut me off and because of wind and such we had to turn across the back of them to avoid them...I asked how far out their gear was and they said I should be fine but sure enough....even though I was 150 yards from them their rigs got hung on my Driggs...and they complained...nice...then later a couple guys in a little aluminum came outta nowhere and powered up my backside and cut right in front of me...I just dont understand why this is happening...wtfoo? I can see it happening on a busy lake with lots of traffic but the lake was virtually empty...Im actually considering packin iron next time in case it gets ugly...a little advice is welcomed as im relatively new to this stuff...

Getting cut off is frustrating, but not bad enough to get shot over or going to jail for winning!!!

Ken Jones
05-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Other than the problem you had with them dorts how was the fishing. My advise sir go with someone that catches a few fish maybe you will learn a few tricks. Last week I was out after kokes in anderson Ranch, Hooked fifty landed 27 fish. Was going this wednesday too Anderson Ranch but a friend called and he wants to fish lucky Peak so I am going to meet him bye the dam ramp. Will let you know how we did.

jimbojump
05-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Getting cut off is frustrating, but not bad enough to get shot over or going to jail for winning!!!

I hear ya...just hacked me off...and I told my buddy to just shut up in case they were packin...who knows what freakish peeps are around you know? What happened to common courtesy..doesnt exist anymore I guess...Also to the other guy who replied...I have always caught Kokes every single time on LP so I know it wasnt my methods...I just couldnt find any them...sped up...slowed down...deeper...shallower..no go...just trout and squaws...

Ken Jones
05-31-2011, 11:22 PM
What part of Arrowrock were you fishing Junbo? I like fishing below the first ramp just above the dam. Then if I'm not doing any good I fish the mouth of the south fork and up the south fork. There is some good fishing also for perch. A lot of people don't know that perch were in the Res. I've caught some nice perch at times in the south fork section. Cut bait is my number one choise.

idahowolverine
06-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Ken you were right about the fresh water shrimp. The fish were just full of them. To the point they were regurgitating them when they got to the boat. Koks, rainbows and squaws were all feeding on them. I was also shocked that I caught squaws at 60ft. But you learn something new every day. Jim I am glad I was not fishing up by you. The way people troll out here drives me nuts. When I go to lucky peak I stay away form the dam for that very reason. I grew up in Michigan fishing harbors for kings in the fall with a lot more boats and in a smaller space and had less problems with people cutting me off. So I usually leave the pack and find my own school. So far this year it has worked for me pretty well. I am still learning these koks but I think I as starting to get the idea. Ken I might get your advice about anderson ranch. Mid to late july I want to go camping up there and fish. I fly fish the s fork in the winter but I have never explored the upper res. at all but it sounds like a fun place to explore.

Fish-happens
06-01-2011, 01:38 AM
First time fishing arrowrock(Riggins blown out) fished by dam caught 4 trout than went up the south fork to the bridge (sight seeing) fished our way back down the s. Fork. Hooked 10 trout and 14 kokes. At one point had four on at once (quite a circus). My daughter tries to land em like crappie. Rain wind and sunshine. Caught kokes at 3, 15 and 20 feet

Fish-happens
06-01-2011, 01:47 AM
Sorry double post

jimbojump
06-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Jim I am glad I was not fishing up by you. The way people troll out here drives me nuts. When I go to lucky peak I stay away form the dam for that very reason.
Wow bro...im not sure how to take that..LOL. Im so not an aggressive personality but some people seem to have no sense at all...I just tried to avoid these guys...but they seemed hell bent on cutting me off...It was SOOOO blatent it had to have been intentional...I only mentioned packing for personal safety reasons...I have many friends and they always carry.."Just in case"..In fact I dont even own a gun anymore...I just want to go fishing and relax and have a good time...no need to add unnecessary drama you know? That awesome you found the kokes up there...I never went up the S fork arm...guess I should give it another shot up there then...what size were they BTW? Supposedly they run larger up there than in LP....

Ken Jones
06-02-2011, 12:00 AM
I will be fishing anderson ranch this friday will give a report when I get home. Fished today at Lucky peak with a friend in his boat we hooked 3 landed two. Windy all day long. ken101chromefish101

Ken Jones
06-02-2011, 12:02 AM
There are big Kokes in arrowrock also. ken

Ken Jones
06-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Guys I have 50 plus years fishing all these waters I try too tell it the way it is. The high water in Arrowrock spilling over in Lucky Peak Puts more food in Lucky Peak for Kokes. Fresh water shrimp and plankton.

Ken Jones
06-02-2011, 06:12 PM
July, idahowolverine would be a good time two fish Anderson Ranch. The fish in the morning are suspended around 25ft maybe a little shallower. After noon fishing will be a little deeper I think. I troll with two sets of leaded line. One I go out three colors the other 4 colors. (Afternoon that distance) Mornings I like Green or chartruse flasher with a chartruse wedding ring tipped with either yellow corn or white corn. I just started using Hoochies so I can't say much about them yet. Two down riggers, depends on depth of fish located. I have a JET BOAT that says Going fishing on a tube ontop the boat. Writting on boat BlueThunder.101chromefish101

Fish-happens
06-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Rocky mountain chartreuse flasher 12 inch 15 lb leader. I tie double cutplug rig with number 4 hooks. Cabelas has chartreuse, pink and green stripped hoochies. Get the smallest size and trim back about 1/2 inch. We tip with corn or wigglers. Hooked 14 last Saturday. Love the hoochies

metalheadgene
06-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Beautiful morning although it took me a while to figure out things. The good news is there are Koke in there....all spread out and requires lots of patience and determination. They were deep....and also caught lots of fat 14-16 inch trout. And definitely excecuted my portion of the pike minnow eradication program.

jimbojump
06-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Hahahaha...been slaughtering upwards of 30 Squaws per day every time I go there...LOL...in fact my neighbor made me a whoopin stick with a handle to crush their pathetic heads before I feed them to the herons, seagulls, and even a gorgeous Bald Eagle came in and nabbed one....seems the Osprey's think squaws suck too cuz we didnt get any takers from them when we pitched some in front of their nesting grounds...hahaha...gotta love that!

Pzak
06-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Gene - JIm, are you guys closer to the dam or over by the south fork? Only Kokes I have taken from AR in years past have been in the mouth where the SF flows into the main res.

jimbojump
06-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Running up the S fork has some success to it...the mouth didnt merit any takers for us but we saw a guy having some luck out there...its still random hit or miss right now....but I didnt catch ANY by the dam or the boat ramp area...no not one....LOL...jerky fish

idahowolverine
06-15-2011, 01:12 AM
We also headed over to Arrowrock on Sunday. Like everyone else lots of squaws. We finished with 7 koks and three rainbows. My son had a good time with a 17 3/4 inch kok that just danced on the water like a steelhead. Lots of fun.

metalheadgene
06-15-2011, 10:05 AM
I agree that it is a random thing. I started out at the confluence of the southfork and after 2 hours of nothing I moved to the dam. But I had just as good of luck on the troll back to the ramp and in fact caught the biggest Koke along the bank straight across from the ramp....in otehr words they are spread out.

metalheadgene
06-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Based on the reports i have been hearing at Anderson Ranch..sounds like it is picking up at alll the lakes? We had a geart day on Arrowrock....had our limit of Kokes (3 of us) and kept some nice trout.

A different lake for me...im used to getting 3-6 huge 18-22 inchers but these were all 15 to 18 inches with several small ones released. It was like fishing Lucky peak.

jimbojump
06-19-2011, 12:30 PM
how far from full pool do you think the water is...its been filling up like gangbusters for the last week or so...

kodiak1
06-19-2011, 12:52 PM
http://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/ramps/arrowrock/arrowrock.html

Here is the bureau of rec website that gives great info about most of our reservoirs. Mike