PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a wickiup report

mrmike
05-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Heading out thursday, looking for a report was told camp grounds are aok and open.

hubtucker
05-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Campgrounds have been good since a week after the opener. Headed up at 9:00 a.m. in the morning. I hear the fish are scattered. I fished the 2 weeks after the opener. Fish scattered, a few 11 inchers, mostly 12's, some fat, some skinny (look like 8 inchers). However, about a third of the catch were about 15 1/2 inches. Largest was 18 1/2 inches.

bertschb
05-24-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm VERY new to Kokanee fishing so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I've been there the last three week. Caught seven real quick three weeks ago. Fish and Game guy said we did better than other folks he talked to that day. Only caught 3 or 4 two weeks ago and nothing last Thursday and Friday. But, I also had a new downrigger and was messing with that (no idea what I'm doing).

I did see other folks catching fish every time I was out. I think fishing has been fair the last couple weeks. Not great but not bad. They do seem to be scattered based on where I saw other's catching fish.

There is basically no snow left anywhere. What surprised me was the lower parking lot was full last Thursday and Friday when I got there at around 8:00. I didn't expect that at all. It was as busy as the weekends.

If you actually know how to fish for Kokanee (unlike me), you will probably do fine!

mrmike
05-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the reports/ I'm a firm believer in barometer reading's. I feel affect the bite with these local on and off storm. The family going up for the big holiday maybe I'll meet you guy up there and we can compare notes I usually have the lake dialed in. I have a wrap on my sled.

skookum9
05-26-2011, 02:18 AM
I'm either going to Wickiup or Odell myself this weekend. Maybe I'll see you there. I'll be in an older Whaler Montauk. Good luck to you and I hope to read a report from you on this coming weekend.

hubtucker
05-29-2011, 07:35 PM
I went up to Wickiup last Wednesday morning at 9:00 a.m. I could not get out onto the lake until 3:00 p.m. due to the wind. Managed to find a half dozen from 12 to 16 inches. As of late Thursday, the campground was full. Everything on the river side was reserved and the first come first serve side was all full. Fished Thursday thru this morning (Sunday). Caught about 15 a day, all 12 to 13 inches. I must have been fishing in the nursery hole. Yesterday, two claps of thunder and it snowed corn snow to two inches in depth. I was planning on staying until Wednesday, but decide to stop fighting the cold, wind and small fish. I have never seen it this cold and windy.

rods58
05-29-2011, 10:24 PM
We were at Wickiup Yesterday and we only caught 1, then the lightning hit close to Gull point and it was time to but the Aluminum boat and the Graphite lightning rods away for the day, nice boat ride untill the lightning.