PDA

View Full Version : Green Peter 5-20-11

Kokanut
05-20-2011, 10:32 PM
It was a nice day today up at Green Peter till the wind came up around 11:00. Still nice but hard to troll in the wind. Quite a few boats out for a weekday. Thistle Creek parking lot was 3/4 full when we got there at 7:45. Caught 6 Kokanee, around 6-7 trout, and 1 Chinook. Released some of the trout. The big surprise to me was the Chinook. I knew that there where some in the lake but this is the first one I have ever caught. I would like to know how common it is to catch them. It measured 19". The koks ranged from 11-13". We where using pink buyeye lures, silver apex, and the Chinook was caught on a pink and green pro trol kokanee special, all tipped with white corn. The water temp on the surface is around 55 now. We where fishing 20-25 ft deep. My transducer broke on my fishfinder, so we where just guessing about how deep and where the fish where.

kokaneekid
05-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Ok so my dad said this was going to happen to me… Something about being humbled one of these days when I go fishing for kokanee, but I didn’t think it was going to happen at Green Peter.
Ok here we go I boated 5 kokanee and about 25 Rainbows… Can someone tell ODFW to stop planting rainbows in Green Peter it is starting to cut into my kokanee fishing. We did manage to pick up two Rainbows that were around 15 inches and yes I did put them back in the lake looked like holdovers. One of the kok’s we picked up was 14 inches and FAT…. I would tell you what was working but nothing was really working, never saw any big numbers, and I couldn’t fish on the top of the water without a rainbow all kokanee were caught at around 35 feet and we lost about 6, THAT IS JUST ICEING ON THE CAKE RIGHT? Dad asked me what I was going to do when this happened and I told him that I do a report on every fishing trip good or bad.
One of the good things is I had time to cook dinner tonight instead of taking care of fish all night…

Fish On kokaneekid

No such thing as a bad fishing trip right... Dad told me that one as well

skookum9
05-21-2011, 05:14 AM
Kokanut,
Good report on your fishing. Hopefully you'll have your transducer replaced soon. Good luck out there.

kokaneekid,
Good report and don't feel too bad about the luck, this has got to be the worst koke season I can remember. Fishing has been so bad at my stomping grounds that I only went on opening weekend and have sat back and listened to the bad reports ever since. Only fishing the local trout lake that is only about 5 miles from my house. Aside from that one trip this year, I don't remember the last time I went koke fishing at one of my chosen lakes and got skunked. Just not the year for me I guess. I keep hearing my friends who have been going talk about the water being too cold yet, and the symptoms sure make that sound plausible, but the temps that we are reading on the surface are plenty high enough that ordinarily the koke's would just be hammering our gear. Since I have the extra day off this next weekend, I'm just going to bite the bullet and give it one more try. Hopefully I can catch one of 'em and squeeze the truth out of him about why they're all so tight lipped this year. Good luck to you, I hope you get 'em dialled in soon.

bigbobwilliams
05-21-2011, 01:44 PM
We were on the water at 6 am. Tried alot of combinations and still haven't unlocked the pattern. We were covering water from 15 to 50 feet deep with every color under the rainbow. Every color worked on the Rainbows! There are alot of trout in that lake. We're taking home a limit of trout every time. We hooked about 6 kokes but lost all but one at the boat. Did catch a nice 14" koke out of Detroit on Tuesday. Any of you great koke fishermen want to go for a free boat ride sometime and teach me a few winning techniques? My family is starting to call me rainbow bob!101chromefish101

Kokanut
05-21-2011, 02:23 PM
We were on the water at 6 am. Tried alot of combinations and still haven't unlocked the pattern. We were covering water from 15 to 50 feet deep with every color under the rainbow. Every color worked on the Rainbows! There are alot of trout in that lake. We're taking home a limit of trout every time. We hooked about 6 kokes but lost all but one at the boat. Did catch a nice 14" koke out of Detroit on Tuesday. Any of you great koke fishermen want to go for a free boat ride sometime and teach me a few winning techniques? My family is starting to call me rainbow bob!101chromefish101 I think we where about 50/50 on rainbows and Koks. Don't know why. Since my FF wasn't working we just fished about 20-25 ft in areas that I've caught fish before. Mostly just dumb luck I guess. I would like to know how to catch Koks up at Detroit if we do a camping trip up there. I ran into someone before that said he liked it out in the open water west of the island and usually caught nice koks there. This was a couple years ago. I think it will get better at GP. I may head back up there tomorrow since my new transducer just came in.

Kokanut
05-23-2011, 09:44 AM
I did go back up to GP on Sunday. Took a couple grand kids along. My fish finder did work, but I sure wasn't finding too many fish. Caught some rainbows, but only put one Kokanee in the boat. At least it was a fairly nice one. Caught it on a pink bugeye lure.

We still had a good time, but I cut it off early before the kids got too bored.

Metal Manipulator
05-23-2011, 10:39 AM
We were there on Sunday also. We ended up with only 4 Kokanee and lost a few more. We finaly found them on the surface which must explain why we saw very few on the fish finder after 6:00 am. we finaly just long lined with no weight using a sling blade and a small orange/clear hoochie. Sure has been a tough year at GP. At least this time the fish were stuffed with plankton which is a good sign. I think in about two weeks when the fish have put on a little fat they will be jumpin on our hooks.

Robin

Cannon
05-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Hey guys, this is spring fishing. You won't be seeing hardly any fish on the finder that will bite. They are in the top 30' of the water column and mostly at the surface. Long lining is the only way you are going to be putting fish in the boat on a regular basis. Last year the water was warmer much earlier so by this time last year we were fishing deeper. For some reason, spinners have been working well for me this year. Last year they just did not as a rule produce like they did in the past. This year seems to be a change to all of that. The fish that I have been catching have been in shallow water and have been feeding on chironomids and other bug hatches. Some are starting to show some plankton in their bellies but not overly so. Pray for warmer weather and that will bring on the zoo plankton. Keep an eye on the stomach contents and you will be able to see the switch from bug hatch to plankton.

Metal Manipulator
05-23-2011, 10:01 PM
The fish we had were gorged with plankton.

Oregonite
05-30-2011, 02:44 PM
I talked to a few old timers in town and they said things are picking up. Can't wait for the weather to change for the better!

salmonriverjohn
06-05-2011, 09:42 PM
1st post here, new to the site. Im heading to Green peter this Tuesday for three days. Going to keep my eyes, toes and fingers crossed for good luck! Nice site you guys have here, and a tip of the hat, it's well put together and informative. If we do well, I'll get back and post on Friday.