PDA

View Full Version : Small Cuts= OOOOOuch

Bduck
05-19-2011, 10:44 AM
I have been a mechanic all of my life and one the the most frequent hazards of the job is small cuts. Alot of times I see how I get most of my cuts but its the little ones that are non bleeders dig in deep that you don't know that happen until a couple hours later you feel this little pain on your finger. I am now nursing a paper like cut on the tip of my thumb and another cut at the base of the same thumb. I feel disabled knowing when I put pressure on that thumb that it's going to let me know to 'STOP'. Large stitched cuts I can deal with which do happen, but the littles I hate the most. crymeariver
Another hazard I deal with is on occasion I have to use a knife. I'm always cautious of working with a sharp blade so I won't dig into the meat hooks. Although I won't slice myself I end up stabbing myself instead. 101no101
How does cuts effect you?

agitator
05-19-2011, 12:11 PM
REALLY....... wow after reading that story it brought tears to my eyes knowing that a little paper cut could effect so many lifes . Just knowing that a work injury like that at a goverment building could disable a HAFB employee is devasting .. I hope you recocover ok worthy12

SuperD
05-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Roger, you were telling me how the jet fuel dries out your hands. I get splits on the ends of my thumbs and fingers this time of year because of it being a winter condition. You might be just getting dry skin split. And yes, they hurt like hell!

Bduck
05-19-2011, 01:36 PM
REALLY....... wow after reading that story it brought tears to my eyes knowing that a little paper cut could effect so many lifes . Just knowing that a work injury like that at a goverment building could disable a HAFB employee is devasting .. I hope you recocover ok worthy12

You know us. More paper work is pawned onto us so other won't have to do there jobs. With this I get less wrench turning because the stinking paperwork is more important than a flying jet. ouch

agitator
05-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Ya I do My Late ex Father In - Law retired from there in the early 80"s more than likely doing what you are doing , I remember his hands looked like a dryed up old carp he did end up with two less fingers because of it . HATE TO SEE THAT HAPPEN ( then you cant flip me off at the lake )

skookum9
05-19-2011, 09:10 PM
I guess if you find that small cuts hurt worse than bigger ones you can always enlarge them when you get them. :-) Just kidding. Although small cuts can be somewhat annoying, my skin is thick enough that most of the time they don't really bother me at all. The one that does bother me is when I get very small metal or glass slivers that I can't see to get out. I've tried to use glue to draw it out but that has never worked for me. I usually end up scraping the painful area with the back edge of a knife in an effort to drag the offensive piece out. If anyone knows of a better way I sure would love to hear it. In my trade this happens a lot. About two days walking around with a tiny steel shard in my hands has me near ready to chew my own arm off just to get rid it.

MMDON
05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Working with wood I get a lot of splinters stuck in my hands. Bleeding is a daily thing with any luck. The lighted magnifying glass I use for tying my hooks really helps to figure out which way the splinter went in and which way it comes out! fencing

Petty4life
05-19-2011, 10:46 PM
As a mechanic also i have cuts all over my hands and arms, its hard to keep them clean when working with with grease and diesel fuel. brake cleaner really makes them burn.

Bduck
05-20-2011, 02:30 AM
Dirt, grease, fuel, oil is a nightmare. Can't keep it out of the cuts. I avoid infections all of the time and I often wander how. It makes me wander how my hands just don't fall off. This climate that we have here is generally dry. The winter months are just brutal on the hands.
Dave, the jet fuel just sucks the life out my hands. They dry out, crack and if I don't immediately try to take care of them, it can take longer than a week to get them healed. That's not knowing what the next day has instore for me at work.

lowe1648mt
05-21-2011, 02:02 AM
I work with wood, metal, and fibreglass. Fiberglass slivers hurt about the worst because of the chemicals that come with them. They are also the hardest to get out because the are often clear and hard to see. Also they break apart.
I remove them with a sharp Stanley utility knife. I just dig in with the point. Good luck to all.

autorick
05-21-2011, 02:26 AM
I worked around metal and chop saws for a long time, and the little slivers are the worst. I dig them out with a clean bpade, and my hands always dry out and crack untill they bleed. At night before i go to bed i rub a thick coating of "Bag Balm" and then slip on a pair of cotton gloves and then go to sleep. In the morning my hands feel almost new again. It is a old plasterer's trick.

Full_Monte
05-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Commercial salmon fishermen get small cuts on their hands all the time. Add saltwater to the equation and you know that hurts. I learned from an Alaskan Salmon fisherman that all the guys up there use Bag Balm on their hands at night. I've been using it ever since. What a miracle cure that is! It's greasy to put on, but gets absorbed within a half hour or so. If you need to use your hands, you can put on some cotton gloves. You can buy it at Costco or your local Tack/feed store. It is used in the dairy industry on cow teats that have to be milked all the time. It comes in a square green can.

gulfstream
05-21-2011, 10:27 AM
try a little carmex on your wounds...i don't leave home without it anymore. works on paper cuts or cracked fingers and hook wounds...let me know how it works for you...