PDA

View Full Version : Any luck fishing from the shore?

Busspass
05-14-2011, 01:14 AM
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck fishing for Kokanee from the shore at lucky peak? What type of rig? I've heard maybe Buzz Bombs work? Thanks.

kodiak1
05-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Wow, buspass, that is one difficult task. I wouldn't even attempt to try catching kokes from the shore. I would, instead, target trout. Kokanee fishing really does require a boat in most cases. Mike

Busspass
05-14-2011, 12:35 PM
bummer. oh well.

skookum9
05-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Busspass,
Don't feel too bummed out. It doesn't require a huge boat to catch them. Only enough boat to feel safe on the water you want to fish. If a lake has enough protection from the wind to keep you from being blown clear across it, an inexpensive little pontoon boat or something would suffice. I have caught plenty of kokanee from a 15ft canoe. You'll want to be able to reach areas in the lake where there there is adequate depth for kokanee. This may only be 20ft at times but it more often much deeper. I'm not familiar with the lake you want to fish but most fishing for kokanee from the shore on most lakes would be near to impossible most of the time. The biggest exception to this is near spawning season when they come up in the rivers. Most waters will close at some time when these fish come in but usually you'll have a small window when there will be some fresh fish that come up earlier than the rest. You'll have to check the regulations to see what is legal and where in order to do this and still abide by the law.
One other option is to find someone, a neighbor, a friend, a coworker or someone else that wouldn't mind having you ride along on a trip or two in their boat. Most boat owners are fine with guests who are respectful and especially those who are willing to pitch in a few dollars for gas. Good luck to you however you choose to go about it. I hope you find a way of getting to the fish, they are a lot of fun and are delicious table fare.

Excaliber
05-14-2011, 07:31 PM
We've caught Kokes the last couple years at LP fishing for trout in late October from shore. We had them jumpimg all around us for a few days. Pink spinners were the ticket.

MMDON
05-15-2011, 05:01 PM
I've seen the bobber guys catch them in the spring when the water is cooler and the fish are up high.

Busspass
05-17-2011, 12:22 PM
the weather hasn't been very good on my days off so I'll let you guys know how I did! Thanks for all the help.

jimbojump
05-18-2011, 12:12 PM
I can take you sometime bro...I go alot and my friends are often busy...get me your email addy and I'll get your number for the days I can go...

Busspass
06-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the offer jimbo! I actually got a buddy that's hookin me up now so we're all good. I did however find that the magic combo from the shore was a worm, corn and bobber setup:) And if that doesn't work a silver castmaster will do the trick.