PDA

View Full Version : Night fishing at lucky peak?

koko71
05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Is night fishing worth it in the summer months to avoid the daytime water skiing crowd? Some what new to kokanee fishing and never fished at night; I have a collection of glow dodgers and trailers any pointers people are willing to share would be nice.

MMDON
05-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Might be tough sledding. Kokanee tend to shoal at night rather than being up in the water column.

SuperD
05-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Might be tough sledding. Kokanee tend to shoal at night rather than being up in the water column.

How about in full moon conditions when the sky is lite up? Oh and what does shoal mean? laugh hyst

kodiak1
05-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Loon Lake north of Spokane has had several years of particularly excellent kokanee fishing with fish in the 12-inch range. The state no longer stocks kokanee in the lake, leaving the fishery to natural reproduction.

Loon Lake anglers have become particularly fond of night fishing in midsummer, when they anchor in about 30 feet of water over a school of fish and jig by lantern light.

This fishing report from the Spokesman Review might be interesting to you. I, too, have wondered if the night fishing is good, since when we fish in the salt for salmon, the best fishing is almost always before daylight followd by late dusk fishing. So, I did try it once last year at LPthis past summer. Almost got killed a couple of times by ski boats even though I was totally lit up. Couldn't buy a fish. I do, however, do best typically before dawn up there. Mike

MMDON
05-10-2011, 06:06 PM
When fishing in the dark you will see L shapes contours in the bottom. These will glow red on a colored screen fish finder. They are completely filled up with shoaling Kokanee. Other than that I've never caught one at night. Prelight in morning they will move around. I've even tried ice fishing for them in places where the fishing is pretty good during the day time. Not a fish on the screen.