PDA

View Full Version : Custom Downrigger Fish Weights

Tuna On
05-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Hey I went into Angler's Den and found some sweet 8 LB. Fish Weights for the downrigger. They were painted a couple colors and are going to help slay the salmon at the Gorge this year. I have noticed in past years that color on the weights attract more but I think these weights are going to kill the fish. Has anyone else been in and seen these or do this yourself? Let me know what you have found works or if you just fish the lead or plastic dipped one.

trollmonkey
05-08-2011, 04:01 PM
I've been using 10 lbs(closer to (9.50) pancakes painted or dipped and they seem to work well. On Angler West Gary Coes Wts were stainless steel rods with a metal loop on one end and appeared to be dipped black.I believe he said they weren't bad to hang up. Some folks like to tape or paint up their wts I guess it is just personal preference.

SuperD
05-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Do they look anything like this?
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/image.php?u=4141&dateline=1271723787

We have a member named Coldfooter that makes these.

Bduck
05-09-2011, 12:59 PM
I traded 2ea 8lbers in for 2ea 10lbers plus $45. Coldfooter does a good quality job. He will paint them to the color of your choice. He lives down in the Provo area. I met him at the Cabelas turnoff for my pickup. Also, Mossy835 makes the cannon ball weights unpainted. I think 10lbers go for $15 ea. but you need to verify that thru him. He lives in the Layton area.

Here is a couple of pics the first is by Coldfooter. The second comes unpainted whereas you paint them.