PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs a little help for LP

zach_c
05-08-2011, 09:53 AM
I am trying to make an effort to fish for Kokanee at LP (it's close), probably could count on one hand the number of times I will make it one season, so I want to make the most of my outings. I have been out a few times over the last few years in my Uncle's boat and we landed a few here and there, but he doesn't seem that interested in going.

So, Saturday I launched at Spring Shores and took my canoe, electric trolling motor, fish finder (wasn't working), and outrigger stabilizer (I can stand up in it). With this setup I was ok trolling around as long as there isn't wind producing whitecaps, and once I launch into an area that where I stay due to the effort involved in getting launched. I had two setups, one spinning rod with a 1/4 oz keel sinker, followed by 18 inch leader, matching pink sling blade dodger and hoochie (10 inches back from dodger). The other was my fly rod will type 3 full sinking line, 18 foot foot leader, and a matching green sling blade dodger and hoochie (also 10 inches back from dodger). Both were tipped with maggot on the trailing hook. As far as I could tell the rigs were down approx 5 - 10 feet, which in my understanding is where many of the koke's are until it gets warmer and the lake turns. Well, I only managed to take two stocker rainbows, one on each rig.

I realize I don't have the ideal setup, just trying to do the best with what I have. Is the setup I have going to hook koke's? Any suggestions on what setups I should not be on the water without? Thx

Idahokanee
05-08-2011, 10:39 AM
zach_c, I’ll start off by saying it’s tough to get another fisherman to be totally honest with you for fear of more competition. Some out there will say that’s not true, be we all have our little secrets (or so we delude ourselves to think so), and will usually hold back a little on our info. That being said, I’ll give you my take on it.

The spinning rig you have (in general) will work. Unfortunately, I have no experience koke fishing with a fly rod to encourage that setup.

A few things that may help,

Location: Watch other boats, to see were they’re fishing. But, don’t be rude and try to get up next to somebody just because you saw them net one. This has become a real inconvenience lately. If you launch at SS, go straight out from the docks (toward lucky peak dam) about 500 yards to the cove on your left, will be a good place to start, and a little safer for your size boat.

Depth, Color, Speed: You’ll want to have more than one color and style rigging. Maybe small pop gear, with a wedding ring about 2-3 ft back. Instead of just the dodger/hoochie setup. The bite can change daily. Pinks/reds/whites/greens all work at some point. And right now while they’re shallow, try a heavier weight (right next to dodger/with good swivels) and increasing your speed a bit may help.

Bait: Go buy White shoe-peg corn. THIS will get you a koke. One kernel on a single hook.

Dodger set up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XftkLboMTew

Hope this helps, good luck.

Mojo
05-08-2011, 11:09 AM
I agree with Idahokanee. I might add that varying your speed and depth this time of year will help you figure out where the active fish are. Once you hook one, try to repeat what you were doing when it hit. We have been doing better with willow-leaf pop gear and wedding rings lately than anything else at LP.

Idahokanee
05-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I agree with Idahokanee. I might add that varying your speed and depth this time of year will help you figure out where the active fish are. Once you hook one, try to repeat what you were doing when it hit. We have been doing better with willow-leaf pop gear and wedding rings lately than anything else at LP.

Ditto on the willow-leaf

zach_c
05-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I don't think I will be making any major dents in the population with just a handful of outings :) Not looking for anyone to give away their hot spots or "secret" techniques...just looking for the basics. I would never crowd anyone either, regardless if they are catching or not. I play by F&G rules as well as being an ethical/moral sportsman, whether it's on the water with a rod or in the field with a gun.

The video helped clarify leader length for me, which I was ok on. I do have some willow leaf and wedding ring setups too, I just didn't use them that day, so sounds like that was a mistake. I will pickup some white shoe-peg corn. I will keep the color variable in mind as well.

Thanks!

Idahokanee
05-10-2011, 10:12 PM
being an ethical/moral sportsman, whether it's on the water with a rod or in the field with a gun.
Thanks!

Glad to hear it. Also, don't forget to just have fun being out. ....Some people feel so depressed if they don't catch anything ("with a rod or a gun"). I just love being out in nature, harvesting something is just a perk. :o)

Good luck to you.

BlueBack79
05-11-2011, 12:00 AM
also, dont expect to net every kokanee you hook. they have very soft mouths, and can break off fairly easily. just part of the game. light/ultra light rods or snubbers can help. just dont horse em in.