PDA

View Full Version : Lakers.....

BlueBack79
05-07-2011, 07:41 AM
i know this should probably go in the non kokanee forum, but i'd like to get some info. from the local boys. so, i'm interested in doing a little laker fishing this summer, mainly up at warm lake since we have a place in cascade. anyone here fish it, or have any useful tips? I've never fished for them before. i'm covered on the obvious things...boat, downriggers, proper terminal tackle. just curious about popular laker gear and maybe some general areas of the lake to focus on. thanks all.

BlueBack79
01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
a little old, but still needing some info. anyone?

kodiak1
01-16-2012, 03:07 PM
For the same mileage, a trip to Payette Lake would be more productive. I have had several 5-fish days up there, and in a 3-4 hour span. I don't think you could reproduce that at Warm Lake. Mike

BlueBack79
01-16-2012, 03:17 PM
any tips, locations would be greatly appreciated. completely new to me. pm if you'd prefer. thanks.

Ken Jones
01-26-2012, 02:24 PM
I like fishing at Mccall. Got some pretty good lakers in early spring when they are suspended. When they go deep I drag my down rigger ball and bait next too the bottom moving as slow as possible. I use small dead small trout that die at the hatcherys. Theres a guy in haggerman that sells dead trout to fisherman. He has them packaged up ready to go. Sorry can't remember the name. He also, I think raises alligators, So need to ask around with the localls.

RalphL
01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
what size dead trout?? How do you rig them??

idaho_Grizz
01-27-2012, 11:53 AM
I too am planning to learn how to fish lake trout this summer. I have been reading everything I can on lakers. One question on using bait at payette is, would you have a greater chance of fish hooking themselves to deep to release using bait. I just think fish like these should not be keep, from what I have read it takes about one year per inch for their growth. I just don't care to kill something that lives that long.

BlueBack79
01-27-2012, 12:36 PM
i might be wrong, but i thought lakers were all c&r in payette?

BlueBack79
01-27-2012, 12:46 PM
my mistake, payette's daily limit is one, none over 30". that seems reasonable, if you're trying to protect it and manage it as a trophy fishery. i haven't heard much on lakers as table fair, but i agree with grizz. i want to catch them for the simple fact that its something new and i like catching brute fish!!

idaho_Grizz
01-27-2012, 01:17 PM
BB
I have been doing some reading about Bear Lake in southern Idaho. Sounds like some people are catching lakers on kokanee rigging (dodgers and hoochies) at time down there. I hoping to get to make a trip down there.

kodiak1
01-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Blueback,
The macks in Payette Lake taste terrible! Keeping one for table fare is a terrible waste of a limited resource. Those fish spend many years attaining a decent size. When I was much younger, the locals would hit the water in early spring and catch tons of them for the local home for the elderly. I always figured they didn't have much concern for the aged to serve them those horrible-tasting fish!! You'd think they would be fishing for the kokanee in there instead! Mike

Fishin24-7
02-01-2012, 06:25 PM
kodiak,What do you think of my chances catching kokanee through the ice in the payette? Have You ice fished there much?Would there be a better end of the lake to try?I am heading up to cascade this weekend for two days and have been thinking of trying the payette on sunday.We have been catching monster perch on cascade the last few weeks.Thanks for any advice.

kodiak1
02-02-2012, 12:47 PM
I haven't every tried ice fishing for kokanee there. As thick as the ice usually is, and when I did try fishing there, there were no power ice augers!, I didn't like the work/reward ratio! The places I fished were not very accessible. Perhaps the Pilgrim Cove area. By the way, the kokanee numbers seem to be way down from years ago, even though the F and G disagrees. We could go out and frequently limit (15 at the time), but try and do that now. Good luck. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Oh, just thought of this. How about ice fishing by the docks at Harry's. Lot of trout in there earlier this year. Mike

Fishin24-7
02-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks kodiak!Have a great weekend!

Busspass
02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Go to the payette. Walk out onto the ice infront of the park and ride (kinda by lardo's) you'll see tracks out there and there are several holes already made. Walk out about 1/4 mile or so. The depth of the water there is around 60-80ft. Throw on a 4" blue and white buzz bomb and jig it about 5ft off the bottom. We went last weekend and had a blast! As for warm lake I wouldn't waste my time.