PDA

View Full Version : wickiup report 5-4-11

twink
05-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Fished wickiup today. Started at 10:00 AM as per fall river guys report, first bite at 1:00 and then it turned on like I haven't seen in a while. First fish on a green tape nickel vance's dodger followed by a UV wiggle hootchie, then a 23" brown on the same rig, by the way I caught a 24" brown on this same rig on the opener. Then I found what they wanted, a FWG Purple Rage system 2 followed by a Shasta tackle reddish colored hootchie spinner. 14 in the boat 8 16" the rest a little smaller. Must have lost at least 20 right at the boat and at least 30 LDR. Changed the other rod to FWG Daphnia system 2 and the matching spinner and it was almost as good. It was a nice day, with no wind 1.2 to 1.4 MPH. Gallon ziplock full of fillets, and thanks to the fishing gods for today.

Twink

kokaneekid
05-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Fished wickiup today. Started at 10:00 AM as per fall river guys report, first bite at 1:00 and then it turned on like I haven't seen in a while. First fish on a green tape nickel vance's dodger followed by a UV wiggle hootchie, then a 23" brown on the same rig, by the way I caught a 24" brown on this same rig on the opener. Then I found what they wanted, a FWG Purple Rage system 2 followed by a Shasta tackle reddish colored hootchie spinner. 14 in the boat 8 16" the rest a little smaller. Must have lost at least 20 right at the boat and at least 30 LDR. Changed the other rod to FWG Daphnia system 2 and the matching spinner and it was almost as good. It was a nice day, with no wind 1.2 to 1.4 MPH. Gallon ziplock full of fillets, and thanks to the fishing gods for today.

Twink

Ok now I'm getting the kokanee bug...... Sounds like a great day of fishing... I'm going to fish Crescent on Saturday to check things out for the Kokanee Power derby on the 14th, First trip of the year and I can't wait...

Thanks for the report

Fish On kokaneekid

Fallriverguy
05-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Good report on a day filled with lots of action. The fishing seems to be heating up. I hope I can be back up there in the next couple of weeks.

I tried the FWG daphina system 2 open weekend and only had one strike on it.

bertschb
05-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Twink

What part of the lake were you on?

Thanks
Brian

twink
05-06-2011, 01:02 AM
mostly on the point where the davis and deschutes channels meet. Had some on the grill for dinner they were good, the rest are in the brine.

Twink

bertschb
05-06-2011, 08:03 AM
We were there last Saturday and saw a bunch of them on the surface in the same area. We will be there again this weekend but I won't get my new downrigger until next week so I'll just troll for trout.

Can't wait to start fishing for Kokanee though...

Thanks Twink!

skookum9
05-06-2011, 10:32 PM
bertschb,
Why can you not troll for the koke's without a downrigger just as well as you can for trout? I mostly choose to surface jig so it doesn't really matter to me but, it seems to me that people, myself included, used to troll for koke's regularly without a downrigger. Because I so rarely troll, I still usually troll without the aid of a downrigger just because it only gets in the way when I'm trolling. Either way, good luck to you. Hope to get back out there myself in a week or three.

bertschb
05-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Well, mainly because I'm a newbie and a number of people have said that once the water warms up, the Kokanee hang out in deeper water. I don't really want to put a bunch of lead on my line to get down to where the fish are. Plus, with the downrigger, it sounds like I can match the depth of my line to where the fish are showing up on my fishfinder rather than just guessing.

Having said that - this weekend I plan to fish just below the surface since I think that's where the fish are (I'll find out tomorrow) AND because my downrigger won't be here until Monday :-)

Fortunately for my wife and I, we just like being on the water. If we catch a fish, that's just a bonus. I'll get this figured out once we retire in three years and fish several times a week.