PDA

View Full Version : Wickiup 5/1

Fallriverguy
05-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Sunday I hit Wickiup again. This time I fished with my youngest daughter’s boyfriend. It was another beautiful day of fishing at Wickiup even though it was 18 degrees when we left the house. We were greeted by fog when we arrived at the ramp. Between scraping ice off the inside of the windshield and the fog it was a slow caution ride out to the Davis arm following the GPS.

The fish were there but not cooperating. After and 1.5 hours without a sniff, I trolled by Paulinalakekid who was having some action with a doublewhammy, which of course I did not have. He was very generous and passed us a spare lure of his. Thanks so much for sharing the lure! Soon after putting the doublewhammy in the water it got bit. We got on a small bite for about an hour and managed to put 4 or 5 fish in the boat. The bite slowed and we fished for several hours without another bite.

It was time to move round and find some biters. We found a spot loaded with fish but could not get them to bite. After moving to shallower water we found the right combination and stared to get bit fairly regularly. We stayed in 25 to 15 feet of water the rest of the day. Unlike last weekend pink hoochies did not catch one fish. Spinners behind 0000 dodgers did the heavy lifting for us. A pink and green spinner with a dakota blade was the most productive. At times a pink/chartreuse or blue/chartreuse assassin spinner produced some bites. Best corn was “NCS”. That was a first for me.

It is a good thing I fish with other people because my hook-to-land ratio has been abysmal my last two trips. The lure that caught the most fish has a single size 4 dropshot hook. Only one fish was lost and it was because we had a double and could not get the net under the fish in a timely fashion. That is in contrast to the lures I fished with two hooks: bites that did not stick, LDRs and SDRs. I again lost 5 fish in a row at one point.

The fish seem to be on the feed now and when we left the surface water temp was 45-46 F. The biggest fish were again right around 16 inches.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/W110501.JPG

eric71m
05-02-2011, 02:46 PM
them sure are some nice fishies there!!! thanks for the help, and the lure, it worked, at least for one fish... we finished out the day with 6, the largest 15-1/2". off the water at 5ish.

kokaneekid
05-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Good job Brian..... Nice to see someone is getting their boat wet, and putting some fish in the freezer.... NICE LOOKING KOK's

Fish On kokaneekid

mrmike
05-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the report nice mess of fish/ I had a Salmon tournamrent this weekend Kings for Kids/ I have never missed an opener at Wickiup in a long time but the weather and all. !! seems wickiup is going to through out beautiful size fish again. Question is goose Island under water? the water temp is getting better too. With the price of fuel I can't day trip it have to go up for a few days and figure out there pattern thanks again

skookum9
05-03-2011, 03:21 AM
Glad to hear you did alright. I have a friend who lives over there and he didn't fair so well. He reported that the water temps were even colder than the weekend before. He said he fished two guys for 6 hours for one small koke. I think I'm going to wait and let the water warm up just a bit more before I spend the bank it takes me to get over there. Not used to not doing well when fishing for kokes. And with the price of fuel, I think I'd rather just wait it out until I can get some returns for my investment.

SilverBullets
05-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Great report and nice board meeting... Thanks for sharing!signfishin

Kokaneegal
05-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Beautiful fish. Nice and plump. Thanks for sharing. :)

skookum9
05-04-2011, 01:07 AM
Fallriverguy,

I didn't think to ask earlier but I am curious as to what a doublewhammy is. You mentioned it being a lure but I don't remember ever hearing that name before. What kind of a lure is it? Or, who makes it? I've got so many different lures I can't keep track of them as it is, and probably won't ever use even half of them, but I still like to know what else is out there. I think tackle manufacturer's own about 90% interest in the contents of my wallet.

Fallriverguy
05-04-2011, 12:00 PM
A Double Whammy is manufactured by Mack's Tackle. They look like a wedding ring, but have a smile blade instead of metal blade.

southside
05-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Great report!! Thanks for the details and the great pic!

Peace, Tom

Hookumhi
05-06-2011, 07:41 PM
WTG great job!!!awesomereport